Skip to main content

Baumgardner Mill Covered Bridge - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

  



Also known as Pequea Bridge #10, the Baumgardner Mill Covered Bridge spans over Lancaster County, Pennsylvania's Pequea Creek on Covered Bridge Road near the town of Marticville. Built in 1860, the 105 foot long covered Burr truss arch designed covered bridge was constructed by Davis Kitch at a cost of $1,284. In 1987, the bridge was restored after it was damaged in a flood from the previous year. During the restoration, which cost $200,000, the covered bridge was raised four feet and lengthened by nine feet to protect it from damage in future floods. As with many covered bridges in Lancaster County, the covered bridge is painted red, but has some white trim.

As one might expect, the Baumgardner Mill Covered Bridge is located near a historic mill. The history of the mill is one that is longer than the United States itself. There was a mill that was first built at the location in 1775, then a larger mill was built in its place in 1806. Ownership of the mill changed hands countless times, and the namesake of the covered bridge, Thomas Baumgardner, owned the mill and the surrounding property around 1870. Before the age of automobiles, it was customary for a local farmer to plow (or snow a covered bridge) after each winter storm so sleighs could slide through. For this service, he earned $10 a year. Because of the bridge's location on the border between Pequea and Martic Townships, it is said that it was an easier task to snow the covered bridge because the roads were plowed up to the edge of the bridge. I visited the covered bridge during the summer when there was no need to snow the bridge.



Inside the covered bridge.

Baumgardner Mill.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
GalenFrysinger.com - Baumgardner's Mill Covered Bridge
Bridgehunter.com - Baumgardner Mill Covered Bridge 38-36-25
Uncharted Lancaster - Baumgardner’s Mill: Grinding out property disputes, sabotage, and foul play


Update Log:
November 30, 2021 - Crossposted to Quintessential Pennsylvania (https://quintessentialpa.blogspot.com/2021/11/baumgardner-mill-covered-bridge.html)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th