US Route 101 through Templeton of San Luis Obispo County, California was once carried through the community via Main Street. Templeton was host to an early bypass realignment which saw US Route 101 moved to it's present grade as an expressway in 1953. US Route 101 is depicted below on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of San Luis Obispo County when it was aligned on Main Street. Part 1; the history of US Route 101 in Templeton Templeton traces it's origins to 1886 when land on what had been Rancho de Paso Robles was purchased by the West Coast Land Company. The West Coast Land Company sought to establish a town site and siding on the Southern Pacific Railroad south of nearby Paso Robles. This community was intended to be called "Crocker" in honor to Southern Pacific Railroad President Charles F. Crocker. Ultimately Charles F. Crocker requested the community be named "Templeton" in reference to his son. Templeton can be seen on the 1890 George F.