Skip to main content

California State Route 266

 
California State Route 266 is 12 mile State Highway entirely contained within Fish Lake Valley of remote eastern Mono County.  California State Route 266 begins at the southern terminus of Nevada State Route 264 at the Nevada State Line/Esmeralda County Line and jogs southward to California State Route 168 at the small community of Oasis.  From Oasis the alignment of California State Route 266 swings eastward to a terminus at Nevada State Route 266 at the Nevada State Line/Esmeralda County Line.  California State Route 266 has one of the lowest average daily traffic counts on any California State Highway with a 1992 estimate of 70-110 vehicles daily.  Pictured above is the northern terminus of California State Route 266 at the Nevada State Line transitioning onto Nevada State Route 3A as depicted in the July/August 1966 California Highways & Public Works.  




The history of California State Route 266

The eastern segment of California State Route 266 ("CA 266") came into modern relevance as part of the National Roosevelt Midland Trail.  The National Roosevelt Midland Trail was a ocean-to-ocean Auto Trail which was established during 1913.  The National Roosevelt Midland Trail entered California via what is now Nevada State Route 266 ("NV 266") westward from Lida to Oasis in Fish Valley of Mono County.  From Oasis the Roosevelt Midland Trail continued westward over Gilbert Pass and Westgard Pass towards Owens Valley.  Westgard Pass lies in a gap between the White Mountains and Inyo Mountains at an elevation of 7,313 feet above sea level.  Westgard Pass is named after Anton L. Westgard who made a cross country journey in his Pioneer Freighter truck circa 1911.  The National Roosevelt Midland Trail can be seen passing through Fish Lake Valley and Westgard Pass towards Owens Valley on the 1920 Clason Highway Map of California.  



Historically Westgard Pass was tied to the mining fortunes of Lida, Nevada.  Mining claims in Tule Canyon during the 1860s led to the establishment of the town of Lida (also known as Alida) in 1872.  The formation of Lida was soon followed up with Post Office Service being established in 1873.  A stage route westward through what is now Gilbert Pass and Westgard Pass was subsequently established to Owens Valley.  Oasis was established as a stage stop on Cottonwood Creek of Fish Lake Valley in the the early 1870s near the mines of Sylvania west of Lida.  Post Office Service in Oasis began in 1873 signifying the community was notable for it's time.  Oasis can be seen on the 1882 Bancroft's Map of California and Nevada displayed as Ropers Ranch.  The stage route west of Oasis can be seen traversing the then unnamed gap in the White Mountains and Inyo Mountains.  


Legislative Route Number 63 ("LRN 63") was added to the State Highway System by way of the 1919 Third State Bond Act.  The original definition of LRN 63 simply was a highway originating in Oasis and terminating at Big Pine of Owens Valley.  The projected line of LRN 63 first appears on the 1920 California Highway Commission Map.  


LRN 63 appears in the August 1924 California Highways & Public Works as a secondary State Highway.  LRN 63 is stated to be 38.6 miles in length from Big Pine east to Oasis.  


1931 Legislative Chapter 82 extended LRN 63 from Oasis 2.5 miles east to the Nevada State Line.  The extension of LRN 63 was made with the simple rationale that it provided a logical connection with NV 3.  The extended LRN 63 can be seen east of Oasis for the first time on the 1932 Division of Highways State Map.  


The extension of LRN 63 east of Oasis to the Nevada State Line first appears in the August 1932 California Highways & Public Works.  


LRN 63 can be seen in detail on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Mono County.  A local road north of Oasis and LRN 63 can be seen connecting to NV 3A at the Nevada State Line.  


LRN 63 in Westgard Pass is seen a primitive state in the January 1939 California Highways & Public Works.


During the 1964 California Highways Renumbering all the Legislative Route Numbers were dropped.  Legislative Routes which did not have a Sign State Highway attached to them were given designations.  LRN 63 east of Big Pine to the Nevada State Line was added assigned as an extension of CA 168.  CA 168 east of Big Pine to the Nevada State Line by way of Oasis appears for the first time on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.  



1965 Legislative Chapter 1875 added CA 266 as a new State Highway with the following definition:

"Route 168 near Oasis to the Nevada state line via Mono county road 101"

The adoption of Mono County Road 101 into the State Highway System is discussed in the July/August 1966 California Highways & Public Works.  CA 266 was adopted during October of 1965 via Legislative Chapter 1875.  The adoption of CA 266 included the 7 miles of paved highway from CA 168 in Oasis north to NV 3A at the Nevada State Line.  The same article features CA 168 east of Big Pine and the history of Westgard Pass.  



During the 1976 Nevada State Highway Renumbering NV 3A from the northern terminus of CA 266 was reassigned as NV 264.  NV 3 from the eastern terminus of CA 168 was reassigned as part of NV 266.   It is unclear if the assignment of NV 266 was intentional or a coincidence given many of the Nevada State Highways of Esmeralda County were assigned numbers in the 200-299 range.  NV 264 and NV 266 both appear for the first time on the 1978-79 Nevada Department of Transportation Map


1986 Legislative Chapter 928 extended CA 266 east from Oasis to the Nevada State Line via transfer from CA 168.  The extension of CA 266 provided a continuous multi-state highway via NV 266 east to US Route 95 near Goldfield.  The extended CA 266 appears for the time on the 1988 Caltrans Map.  



A full photo tour of modern CA 266 can be found on Corco Highways:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th