Skip to main content

Buttonwood Covered Bridge - Pennsylvania

 


Just a stone's throw away from US 15 and PA 284 in the hills of Buttonwood is the Buttonwood Covered Bridge. Built in 1898 and restored in 1998, this 74 foot long covered multiple Kingpost through truss designed covered bridge is just one of a handful of covered bridges found throughout Lycoming County. Due to its historic nature, the Buttonwood Covered Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1980. Local legend states that this covered bridge had once washed downstream on the Blockhouse Creek during a major flood, and that after the water receded, the bridge was hauled back to its original site by horses. The Buttonwood Covered Bridge is in a rural area, surrounded by farms, serene hillsides and a sawmill. But due to its proximity to US 15, it's an easy detour off of the exit for PA 284 to see the bridge, by heading north from the exit and going onto Covered Bridge Road.


Approaching the Buttonwood Covered Bridge.

Inside the covered bridge.

An older weight restriction sign for the bridge.

Side profile of the Buttonwood Covered Bridge.

A scenic barn and US 15 can be seen from the covered bridge.



How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Buttonwood Covered Bridge 38-41-01
Pennsylvania Covered Bridges - Lycoming County
Valley Girl Views - Buttonwood Covered Bridge



Update Log:
November 23, 2021 - Crossposted to Quintessential Pennsylvania (https://quintessentialpa.blogspot.com/2021/11/buttonwood-covered-bridge.html)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th