Skip to main content

Hawaii Route 98 Vineyard Boulevard

Hawaii Route 98 is a 1.8-mile State Highway located on the Island of O'ahu in the City of Honolulu.  The entirety of Hawaii Route 98 is aligned on Vineyard Boulevard from Interstate H-1/Luanlilo Freeway Exit 20B to Exit 22.  

This page is part of the Gribblenation O'ahu Highways page.  All Gribblenation and Roadwaywiz media related to the highway system of O'ahu can be found at the link below:

https://www.gribblenation.org/p/gribblenation-oahu-highways-page.html


Part 1; the history of Hawaii Route 98

Prior to the Statehood the first signed highways within Hawaii Territory came into existence during World War II.   During World War II the territory of Hawaii saw an influx of military activity following the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.  Numerous Military Routes and early Hawaii Routes were signed through the Hawaiian Territory to aid military personnel in navigating the islands.  Military Highways were assigned US Route style shields whereas lesser highways were assigned an early variation of what is now the Hawaii Route Spade.  What is now Vineyard Boulevard in Boulevard was originally known as Vineland Street and did not have a World War II era Hawaii Route assigned to it.  Vineyard Street was named after the numerous vineyards which used to line it.  A full version of the 1946 Army Map of O'ahu can be seen on hawaiihighways.com here.  


The beginnings of what is now known as the Lunalilo Freeway was completed in downtown Honolulu as the Mauka Arterial during November 1953.  The Mauka Arterial was approximately 1 mile length between Kapiolani Boulevard westward to Kapiolani Hospital at Punahou Street.

Circa 1955 following the conclusion of World War II the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System.  The 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established.  Primary Hawaii Routes were given two digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three digit numbers.  The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to.  In the case of O'ahu the Island was assigned numbers in the range of 60-99.  In the case of the Mauka Arterial corridor it was initially assigned as part of Hawaii Route 72.  A far more detailed explanation of the 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering can be found at hawaiihighways.com here

The planned corridor of the Mauka Arterial can be observed on the 1956 Shell Highway Map of Honolulu.  The Mauka Arterial is shown having a planned connection to Vineyard Street.  


The 1959 Gousha Map of Hawaii shows the Vineland Street extension acting as part of the interim alignment of Hawaii Route 72 while the Lunalilo Freeway was under construction.  Hawaii Route 72 is shown diverting from the end of the completed Lunalilo Freeway segment onto Lunalilo Boulevard west to the Vineyard Street extension.  Hawaii Route 72 is shown aligned on Vineyard Street west to Nuuanu Boulevard and southward to Beretania Street.  Notably the Vineyard Street extension is not shown to be yet continuous with the existing segment west of Foster Botanical Garden.  

On August 21st, 1959 Hawaii became the 50th State which saw its profile rise significantly.  The Hawaii Department of Transportation's History of Interstate H-3 guide details much of the early history of the Interstate System in Hawaii.  The Interstate System in Hawaii was authorized as part of the 1960 Statehood Act.  The 1960 Statehood Act authorized Interstates H-1, H-2 and H-3 on the Island of O'ahu.  Hawaii Route 72 was reassigned as part of Interstate H-1 as part of the 1960 Statehood Act. 


Hawaiihighways.com details the construction history of Interstate H-1 on their O'ahu page.  The first segment of the Lunalilo Freeway to be constructed as Interstate H-1 between Exit 25B east to 26A was completed by 1965.  This segment can be seen under construction in the 1965 Hawaii Department of Transportation photo below.  


Interstate H-1 on the Queen Liliuokalani Freeway from Exit 5 (Hawaii Route 76/Hawaii Route 750) to its western terminus opened during 1967.  The remainder of the Lunalilo Freeway segment of Interstate H-1 in Honolulu was completed by July 1969.  The entirety of Vineyard Boulevard can be seen assigned as Hawaii Route 98 on the October 1968 Interstate H-4 proposal document titled: Proposed Route H-4.


Hawaii Route 98 can be seen as a loop of Interstate H-1/Lunalilo Freeway Exit 20B-22 on the 1969 USGS Map of Honolulu.  




Part 2; a drive on Hawaii Route 98

Eastbound Hawaii Route 98 begins from Interstate H-1/Lunalilo Freeway Exit 20B. 







Hawaii Route 98 follows Vineyard Boulevard 1.8 miles eastward back to Interstate H-1/Lunalilo Freeway with the only major coming Hawaii Route 61/Pali Highway.  Eastbound Hawaii Route 98 is well signed and even has an END placard upon terminating at Interstate H-1/Lunalilo Freeway.




Westbound Hawaii Route 98 begins from Interstate H-1/Lunalilo Freeway Exit 22.



An oddly specific 1.76 Mile Marker can be seen as westbound Hawaii Route 98 begins on Vineyard Boulevard. 


Traffic on westbound Hawaii Route 98/Vineyard Boulevard is notified Punchbowl Street can be used to returned to westbound Interstate H-1/Lunalilo Freeway.  


Hawaii Route 98/Vineyard Avenue intersects Hawaii Route 61/Pali Highway and loops back to Interstate H-1/Lunalilo Freeway. 





Miscellaneous photos of westbound Hawaii Route 98/Vineyard Boulevard.  Notably there is signals on Hawaii Route 98/Vineyard Boulevard westbound showing if the Tunnels on Hawaii Route 63/Likelike Highway and Interstate H-3 are closed. 




During May of 2019 Dan Murphy of the Roadwaywiz YouTube Channel and Gribblenation featured real-time drives on Hawaii Route 98.  Below Hawaii Route 98 westbound can be viewed. 


Below Hawaii Route 98 eastbound can be viewed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car