Skip to main content

Hueston Woods Covered Bridge - Ohio

 


One of eight covered bridges in Preble County, Ohio, the Hueston Woods Covered Bridge was built in 2012 to span over the Four Mile Creek at Hueston Woods State Park. The 108 foot long single span modified Burr arch truss designed covered bridge replaced a metal pony truss bridge at the same location on Camden College Corner Road, just a few miles east of the state line between Ohio and Indiana. A six foot walkway is located on each side of the bridge to allow for a safer area for pedestrian traffic, along with providing a scenic viewing area of the creek below.

The covered bridge was constructed at a cost of $1,997,500, is a brainchild of J. Stephen Simmons, who is a retired Preble County engineer. Simmons was instrumental in 2007 for enabling Preble County to receive most of the funding needed for the new covered bridge from the Federal Highway Administration, administered through the Ohio Department of Transportation. As the covered bridge is at a state park, it was decided that a covered bridge would make a nice attraction and addition to the park, so when it was determined that a new bridge had to be built, a covered bridge was selected to be built in place. A Burr truss design with an arch was chosen in homage to another covered bridge in Preble County, the Roberts Covered Bridge.

During a visit to the western part of Ohio, I had a chance to visit the Hueston Woods Covered Bridge. On a nice day, it is a good place to check out to admire the bridge and the surrounding scenery. The powers that be made a good decision to place a covered bridge at this location.






How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Hueston Woods Covered Bridge 35-68-51
HistoricBridges.org - Camden College Corner Road Bridge
Hueston Woods Region Visitors Bureau - Covered Bridge
Hueston Woods Lodge & Conference Center - Covered Bridge
Journal-News (Butler County, Ohio) - New bridge rooted in ‘Burr’ history (June 18, 2012)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) (Baltimore, MD)

The Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) was a steel continuous truss bridge that spanned the Patapsco River in Baltimore, MD. Situated at the entrance to Baltimore’s Outer Harbor, the bridge carried Interstate 695 (part of the Baltimore Beltway) and was a visible symbol of the city and the state of Maryland. This bridge no longer exists due to its collapse as the result of a collision with a large container ship on March 26, 2024. The following piece will discuss the history and life of the Key Bridge, the important details surrounding the incident that caused its collapse, and the in-progress recovery efforts at the site. This piece will also discuss the economic impacts to the city and region as a result of the collapse and will look ahead at what to expect from a potential replacement crossing in the future. Part 1 - History of the Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) Planning for what was originally known as the “Baltimore Outer Harbor Crossing” began in the 1950s at the dawn of