Skip to main content

Hawaii Route 64

Hawaii Route 64 is a 2.6 mile State Highway contained within the City of Honolulu.  Hawaii Route 64 begins at Hawaii Route 92/Nimitz Highway and follows Sand Island Access Road and Sand Island Parkway to Sand Island State Recreation Area.  Hawaii Route 64 is the only road to access Sand Island in the City of Honolulu which crosses the Honolulu Harbor Bridge. 

This page is part of the Gribblenation O'ahu Highways page.  All Gribblenation and Roadwaywiz media related to the highway system of O'ahu can be found at the link below:

https://www.gribblenation.org/p/gribblenation-oahu-highways-page.html


Part 1; the history of Hawaii Route 64

Sand Island was originally known as Kamoku'akulikuli and came to be known as Quarantine Island following a quarantine station being constructed there during 1872.  Quarantine Island was expanded during 1888 via use of landfill.  Quarantine Island was used to impound ships attempting access Honolulu Harbor which had potentially contagious passengers.  Quarantine Island can be seen on the 1899 Taylor Map of O'ahu just offshore from Honolulu.  

The 1901 George Franklin Cram Map of Honolulu displays a low tide carriage road from Quarantine Island in addition to a Pier/Tramway to Quarantine Wharf.  Quarantine Island was enlarged again via landfill during 1906 and was surrounded by a sea wall.  During 1916 the Sand Island Military Reservation was established which led to numerous improvements to Sand Island and Honolulu Harbor. 

Prior to the Statehood the first signed highways within Hawaii Territory came into existence during World War II.   During World War II the territory of Hawaii saw an influx of military activity following the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.  Numerous Military Routes and early Hawaii Routes were signed through the Hawaiian Territory to aid military personnel in navigating the islands.  Military Highways were assigned US Route style shields whereas lesser highways were assigned an early variation of what is now the Hawaii Route Spade.  

A 1946 Army Map of the Island of O'ahu shows no World War II era Hawaii Routes or roads accessing Sand Island.  During World War II was used an Army Interment Camp which opened immediately after the attack on Pearl Harbor.  The Sand Island Army Interment Camp housed Hawaiians of Japanese descent and others living in Hawaii born in Axis Power Countries.  The Sand Island Army Interment Camp closed during March of 1943 with most of the prisoner population transferred to the Mainland United States or Honouliuli Interment Camp.  A full version of the 1946 Army Map of O'ahu can be seen on hawaiihighways.com here


Circa 1955 following the conclusion of World War II the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System.  The 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established.  Primary Hawaii Routes were given two digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three digit numbers.  The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to.  In the case of O'ahu the Island was assigned numbers in the range of 60-99.

During 1959 Sand Island was turned over by the U.S. Army to the Territory of Hawaii.  On August 21st, 1959 Hawaii became the 50th State which saw it's profile rise significantly.  During April 1962 the Army Corps of Engineers completed the two-lane Lt. John R. Slattery Bridge as bascule draw span.  The completion of the Lt. John R. Slattery Bridge saw Sand Island Access Road added to the Hawaii Route System as Hawaii Route 640.  Hawaii Route 640 on Sand Island Access Road to the Lt. John R. Slattery Bridge can be seen on a 1968 concept drawing of Interstate H-4. 



Below the Lt. John R. Slattery Bridge can be seen in undated photo from oldimagesofhawaii.com allowing a ship to pass through the draw span.  


During the 1980s the Lt. John R. Slattery Bridge was permanently sealed and an adjacent concrete span was built next to it to allow for four lane capacity for freight vehicles.  It is unclear but it appears the expansion of the Lt. John R. Slattery Bridge was when State Maintenance extended to Sand Island State Recreation Area and Hawaii Route 640 was reassigned as Hawaii Route 64.  What was known as the Lt. John R. Slattery Bridge is presently known as the Honolulu Harbor Bridge



Part 2; a eastbound drive on Hawaii Route 64

Below the junction of Hawaii Route 64 eastbound from Hawaii Route 92/Nimitz Highway can be observed.  


Below Hawaii Route 64 eastbound can be seen crossing the Honolulu Harbor Bridge from Sand Island Access Road to Sand Island Parkway.  





During May 2019 Dan Murphy of the Roadwaywiz Youtube Channel and Gribblenation featured a real-time drive on Hawaii Route 64 eastbound.  




Part 3; a drive on Hawaii Route 64 westbound 

Below westbound Hawaii Route 64 can be observed approaching the Honolulu Harbor Bridge from Sand Harbor Parkway to Hawaii Route 92 via Sand Island Access Road.  







Below westbound Hawaii Route 64 can be observed in real-time on the Roadwaywiz Youtube Channel. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horace Wilkinson Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

Standing tall across from downtown Baton Rouge, the Horace Wilkinson Bridge carries Interstate 10 across the lower Mississippi River between West Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parishes. Unusually, the bridge is actually named for three separate people; three generations of Horace Wilkinsons who served in the Louisiana State Legislature over a combined period of 54 years. Constructed in the 1960s and opened to traffic in 1968, this is one of the largest steel bridges on the lower Mississippi. It’s also the tallest bridge across the Mississippi, with its roadway reaching 175 ft at the center span. Baton Rouge is the northernmost city on the river where deep-water, ocean-going vessels can operate. As a result, this bridge is the northernmost bridge on the river of truly gigantic proportions. Altogether, the bridge is nearly 2 ½ miles long and its massive truss superstructure is 4,550 ft long with a center main truss span of 1,235 ft. The Horace Wilkinson Bridge is one of the largest

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh