Skip to main content

Herline Covered Bridge - Bedford County, Pennsylvania

 


At 136 feet, the Herline Covered Bridge is the longest of all of the covered bridges that are located in Bedford County, Pennsylvania. Built in 1902 and constructed in a Burr arch truss design, the covered bridge crosses the Raystown Branch of the Juniata River just north of the borough of Manns Choice and a stone's throw away from the Pennsylvania Turnpike as well. The bridge was closed to traffic in 1983, then was refurbished in 1997 and then was reopened to traffic. The Herline Covered Bridge was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 10, 1980.

Also known as the Kinton Covered Bridge, the Herline Covered Bridge also has a ghost story attached to it. According to the story, many locals avoid the bridge because it is believed that the Devil or some other body or thing has interest in the bridge. The story goes that a farmer was leaving Manns Choice and headed for home entered the bridge and got halfway when his team of horses stopped, refusing to continue forward. The farmer unhitched the horses and led them out of the bridge before reentering, hoping to back the wagon out. However, the wagon wheels were locked into place. The farmer refused to go home without his wagon and sought help from a man and his son who lived nearby. Even with their help, the wagon still refused to budge. The farmer then gave up, went to mount his horses and as he did, he heard chains attached to the wagon rattle. At that point, the spell was broken and he hitched his team to the wagon and they continued home.






How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Herline Covered Bridge 38-05-11
Bedford County Visitors Bureau - Covered Bridges of Bedford County
The Pennsylvania Rambler - Herline and Turner Covered Bridges

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, the color of your nearby fire hydrant matters...

...and here's why. You will find White, Red, Yellow and Violet colored fire hydrants pretty much everywhere.  But there's a reason for this - and it's because of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).  This association has issued guidelines for color coding standards for fire hydrants.  These color codes from the body of the hydrant, top of the hydrant, and in some municipalities the outlet caps are designed to allow fire fighters to know what type of system, water flow rate (Gallons Per Minute or GPM), and level of water pressure.  This guideline is known as NFPA 291 and is intended to be used universally throughout the United States. The NFPA guidelines are specific to the body and the top cap of the hydrant.  If a hydrant is WHITE or YELLOW - it means that it is connected to a public/municipal water system.  If a hydrant is RED - the hydrant is connected to a private system, typically a well.  These are most common in rural or unincorporated areas

Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway (in the making since 1947)

On September 15, 2022, the Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway opened in the city of Modesto from California State Route 99 west to North Dakota Avenue.  Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway was built upon a corridor which was tentatively to designated to become the branching point for Interstate 5W in the 1947 concept of the Interstate Highway System.  The present California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor was adopted by the California Highway Commission on June 20, 1956.  Despite almost being rescinded during the 1970s the concept of the California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor lingered on for over half a century and became likely the oldest undeveloped right-of-way owned by California Transportation Commission.  Pictured above is the planned California State Route 132 freeway west of US Route 99 in Modesto as featured in the May/June 1962 California Highways & Public Works.   The history of the California State Route

Aptos Creek Road to the Loma Prieta ghost town site

Aptos Creek Road is a roadway in Santa Cruz County, California which connects the community of Aptos north to The Forest of Nisene Marks State Parks.  Aptos Creek Road north of Aptos is largely unpaved and is where the town site of Loma Prieta can be located.  Loma Prieta was a sawmill community which operated from 1883-1923 and reached a peak population of approximately three hundred.  Loma Prieta included a railroad which is now occupied by Aptos Creek Road along with a spur to Bridge Creek which now the Loma Prieta Grade Trail.  The site of the Loma Prieta Mill and company town burned in 1942.   Part 1; the history of Aptos Creek Road and the Loma Prieta town site Modern Aptos traces its origin to Mexican Rancho Aptos.  Rancho Aptos was granted by the Mexican Government in 1833 Rafael Castro.  Rancho Aptos took its name from Aptos Creek which coursed through from the Santa Cruz Mountains to Monterey Bay.  Castro initially used Rancho Aptos to raise cattle for their hides.  Following