Skip to main content

Interstate H-2

Interstate H-2 is a 8.33 mile freeway which runs the north/south on the Hawaiian Island of O'ahu.  Interstate H-2 begins from the terminus of Interstate H-1 in at Pearl City and treks northward to a terminus at Hawaii Route 99 in Wahiawā.  Interstate H-2 is the primary highway connecting Naval Station Pearl Harbor to Wheeler Army Airfield.  Pictured above is Interstate H-2 southbound beginning in Wahiawā.


This page is part of the Gribblenation O'ahu Highways page.  All Gribblenation and Roadwaywiz media related to the highway system of O'ahu can be found at the link below:

https://www.gribblenation.org/p/gribblenation-oahu-highways-page.html


Part 1; the history of Interstate H-2

Prior to the Statehood the first signed highways within Hawaii Territory came into existence during World War II.   During World War II the territory of Hawaii saw an influx of military activity following the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.  Numerous Military Routes and early Hawaii Routes were signed through the Hawaiian Territory to aid military personnel in navigating the islands.  Military Highways were assigned US Route style shields whereas lesser highways were assigned an early variation of what is now the Hawaii Route Spade.  

A 1946 Army Map of the Island of O'ahu shows the primary road between Pearl City Wahiawā as part of Military Route 1 which was signed on the Kamehameha Highway.  A full version of the 1946 Army Map of O'ahu can be seen on hawaiihighways.com here


Circa 1955 following the conclusion of World War II the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System.  The 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established.  Primary Hawaii Routes were given two digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three digit numbers.  The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to.  In the case of O'ahu the Island was assigned numbers in the range of 60-99.  In the case of the Kamehameha Highway in the Pearl City-Wahiawā corridor it was assigned part of Hawaii Route 99.  A far more detailed explanation of the 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering can be found at hawaiihighways.com here.  

Hawaii Route 99 in the Pearl City-Wahiawā corridor can be on the 1959 Gousha Road Map of Hawaii


On August 21st, 1959 Hawaii became the 50th State which saw it's profile rise significantly.  The Interstate System in Hawaii was authorized as part of the 1960 Statehood Act.  The 1960 Statehood Act authorized Interstates H-1, H-2 and H-3 on the Island of O'ahu.

Unlike the other Interstate corridors of O'ahu Interstate H-2 was relatively uncontroversial and three general routing options were discussed via public hearing during October 1962.  Construction of the Wahiawā Interchange would begin during 1971.  The first two northbound miles of Interstate H-2 opened to traffic from Interstate H-1 to Mililani Cemetery on October 3rd, 1974.  The opening ribbon cutting ceremony of the first two miles of Interstate H-2 can be seen in the October 4th, 1974 Honolulu Advisor.  


The remaining portion of Interstate H-2 north to Wahiawā opened on February 21st, 1977.  The opening ceremony for the completed Interstate H-2 was announced in the February 16th, 1977 Honolulu Advisor.  


Interstate H-2 originally opened with Bus Lanes which were turned into High Occupancy Use by 1979.  Since opening Interstate H-2 has seen only small changes such as the Ka Uka Boulevard Interchange opening in 1989.  Interstate H-2 was designated the Veterans Memorial Freeway in 2002.  


Part 2; a drive on Interstate H-2 northbound

During 2019 Dan Murphy of Roadwaywiz and Gribblenation drove the entire Interstate H-2 corridor while visiting O'ahu.  Interstate H-2 begins from westbound Interstate H-1 Exit 8A.


Control City signage on Interstate H-2 notes the Ka Uka Boulevard as 1 mile away, Mililani as 4 miles away and Wahiawā as 7 miles away.  

Interstate H-2 northbound Exit 2 accesses Ka Uka Boulevard whereas Exit 5 accesses Mililani/Mauka.


Interstate H-2 northbound Exit 7 accesses Hawaii Route 99 and provides access to Wheeler Army Airfield by way of Leilehua Road. 




Interstate H-2 northbound Exit 8 accesses Hawaii Route 80 in Wahiawā.  As Interstate H-2 northbound terminates it transitions on Hawaii Route 99 on Wilikina Drive.  


Below Interstate H-2 northbound can be viewed in real time on the Roadwaywiz Youtube Channel.


Part 3; a drive on Interstate H-2 southbound

Interstate H-2 southbound begins at split with Hawaii Route 99/Kamehameha Highway which is signed as Exit 9. 

Interstate H-2 southbound Exit 8 also accesses Hawaii Route 99/Kamehameha Highway at Wahiawā.


The Veterans Memorial Freeway signage on Interstate H-2 southbound.  



Interstate H-2 southbound Exit 5 accesses Mililani. 


Interstate H-2 southbound accesses Ka Uka Boulevard. 


Interstate H-2 southbound terminates at Interstate H-2 via Exits 1A and 1B. 







Below Interstate H-2 can be viewed in real time on the Roadwaywiz Youtube Channel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horace Wilkinson Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

Standing tall across from downtown Baton Rouge, the Horace Wilkinson Bridge carries Interstate 10 across the lower Mississippi River between West Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parishes. Unusually, the bridge is actually named for three separate people; three generations of Horace Wilkinsons who served in the Louisiana State Legislature over a combined period of 54 years. Constructed in the 1960s and opened to traffic in 1968, this is one of the largest steel bridges on the lower Mississippi. It’s also the tallest bridge across the Mississippi, with its roadway reaching 175 ft at the center span. Baton Rouge is the northernmost city on the river where deep-water, ocean-going vessels can operate. As a result, this bridge is the northernmost bridge on the river of truly gigantic proportions. Altogether, the bridge is nearly 2 ½ miles long and its massive truss superstructure is 4,550 ft long with a center main truss span of 1,235 ft. The Horace Wilkinson Bridge is one of the largest

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Veterans Memorial Bridge (Gramercy, LA)

When we think of the greatest engineering achievements and the greatest bridges of North America, we tend to focus on those located in places familiar to us or those structures that serve the greatest roles in connecting the many peoples and cultures of our continent. Greatness can also be found in the places we least expect to find it and that 'greatness' can unfortunately be overlooked, due in large part to projects that are mostly inconsequential, if not wasteful, to the development and fortunes of the surrounding area. In the aftermath of the George Prince ferry disaster that claimed the lives of 78 people in October 1976 in nearby Luling, LA, the state of Louisiana began the process of gradually phasing out most of its prominent cross-river ferry services, a process that remains a work in progress today. While the Luling-Destrehan Ferry service was eliminated in 1983 upon completion of the nearby Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge, the ferry service at Gramercy, LA in rural St.