Skip to main content

Millmont Covered Bridge - Union County, Pennsylvania

  


Also known as the Millmont Red Bridge, the Glen Iron Bridge or the Red Covered Bridge, the Millmont Covered Bridge is Union County, Pennsylvania's longest covered bridge. Spanning 159 feet across Penns Creek in the small community of Millmont in Hartley Township, the Millmont Covered Bridge was originally built in 1855 and designed with the style of a covered Burr arch-truss. Once the location of an important local crossing over Penns Creek, the bridge was bypassed by a modern bridge capable of handling heavier traffic in 1976. It now serves pedestrian and bicycle traffic, as it closed to motor vehicles in 1998.

The Millmont Covered Bridge has seen a few restorations over its history. There was a restoration of the bridge that took place in 1958. Another restoration took place in 2010. As the bridge was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 8, 1980, the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission required the work to maintain the historical integrity of the original 1855 structure. While Union County was trying the secure and negotiate the $1.1 million needed in funding to restore the bridge, there was a windstorm with 55 to 65 mile per hour gusts took the roof off the bridge. But with the restoration having already been scheduled, that allowed for timely repair.

Penns Creek.

The bridge has a low clearance. It's best that it no longer serves motor vehicles.

Inside the covered bridge




How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
PA Bucket List - Exploring the Millmont Covered Bridge in Union County
Bridgehunter - Millmont Covered Bridge 38-60-01 #2
PA Covered Bridges - Millmont/Red Bridge Restoration
Vermont Covered Bridge Society - Wind Takes Roof Off Millmont Covered Bridge


Update Log:
December 16, 2021 - Crossposted to Quintessential Pennsylvania (https://quintessentialpa.blogspot.com/2021/12/millmont-covered-bridge.html)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...