Skip to main content

Hemlock Covered Bridge - Fryeburg, Maine

 


The Hemlock Covered Bridge is a covered bridge just east of Fryeburg, Maine, near the western shore of Kezar Lake. Built in 1857 and rehabilitated in 1998, the 136 foot long covered bridge spans over the Old Course Saco River, which was an old channel of the Saco River that was bypassed by local farmers with the help of oxen and hand tools in the year 1820. The Hemlock Covered Bridge is the last remaining covered bridge of seven such bridges built in Fryeburg.

Constructed with a Paddleford through truss design, the Hemlock Covered Bridge is the oldest such example of a Paddleford truss system used for a covered bridge in Maine. As the bridge was built on what had been a floodplain, the bridge rests upon granite abutments about 15 feet above the river bed. Today, you can drive to the bridge on Hemlock Bridge Road, or walk across the bridge and view the inside of the bridge with its beams and planks. Or if you are the intrepid sort, you can paddle to the covered bridge. Whichever your mode of transportation, the Hemlock Covered Bridge is great to visit.

Inside the covered bridge.

West portal of the covered bridge.

A serene view of the covered bridge.

East portal of the Hemlock Covered Bridge.

The Hemlock Covered Bridge is a Maine historic civil engineering landmark.

Paddling on the Old Course Saco River. Maybe they are canoeing so they can see the bridge.

A parting shot of the Hemlock Covered Bridge on a fine summer day.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
MaineDOT - Hemlock Bridge, Fryeburg, Maine
Bridgehunter.com - Hemlock Covered Bridge 19-09-02
Inspirock - Hemlock Covered Bridge, Fryeburg
Wondermyway - Frog Alley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh