Skip to main content

Former US Route 40 in Reno and Sparks

Reno and Sparks are cities located in Washoe County, Nevada on the corridor of Interstate 80.  Prior to the construction of Interstate 80 the primary east/west highway through Reno and Sparks was US Route 40.  Within Reno US Route 40 was aligned on 4th Street whereas it was located on what is now Victorian Avenue in Sparks.  The photo above depicts former US Route 40 on 4th Street in downtown Reno.  Below former US Route 40 on 4th Street in Reno is depicted on the 1956 Shell Highway Map of Nevada.  


Part 1; the history of US Route 40 in Reno and Sparks

Reno and Sparks are located along the Truckee River in the Truckee River Valley.  During the period of the California Gold Rush the area which is presently occupied by Reno and Sparks was located on the California Trail.  What is now presently Reno and Sparks can be seen near the communities of Onieda and Sloute Bridge on the 1863 DeGroot's Map of Nevada Territory along the California Trail.  Sloute Bridge had been constructed in 1859 by Charles W. Fuller as part of a connecting stage route from the California Trail to Virginia City.  Fuller's sold his bridge in 1861 to Myron C. Lake who renamed it to Lake's Crossing.  Being at the junction of two major stage roads Lake's Crossing began to develop into a small community.  

Nevada obtained Statehood during October of 1864 largely off the prospects of the mining booms associated with the Comstock Lode.  During the construction the Central Pacific Railroad's first Transcontinental Railroad circa 1863-69 numerous sidings were established to services trains.  During 1863 Myron C. Lake deeded some of his land to the Central Pacific Railroad to build a siding.  The Central Pacific Railroad established a siding at Lake's Crossing known as Reno during the Spring of 1868.  Reno siding was named after United States Army Officer Jesse Lee Reno.  Reno would become the Washoe County Seat during 1871 and would incorporate as a City on March 16th, 1903.  Reno can be seen on the 1873 Bancroft's Map of California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona along the Central Pacific Railroad at the Truckee River.  

Notably the next closest major Central Pacific Railroad siding east of Reno on the 1873 Bancroft's Map of California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona is shown to be Wadsworth.  In 1902 the Southern Pacific Railroad purchased a large swath of land along the Truckee River east of Reno to construct a new switching yard.  The Southern Pacific Railroad switchyard had been constructed by 1904 along with a new siding called "Harriman."  The establishment of Harriman largely drew population from Wadsworth due to the Southern Pacific Railroad offering to move homes there free of charge.  Harriman was renamed "Sparks" in honor of sitting Nevada Governor John Sparks and would incorporate as a City on March 15th, 1905.  

Reno and Sparks can be seen along the Lincoln Highway, Victory Highway and Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway on the 1920 Clason Roads of California and Nevada Map.  

During March of 1914 the Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway was formalized as a coast to coast highway.  As originally conceived the Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway would have been plotted from Washington D.C. to San Francisco which would have put Reno and Sparks on it's alignment.  The creation of the National Old Trails Road shifted the east terminus of the Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway to New York whereas the emergence of the Lincoln Highway saw the western terminus shifted to Los Angeles.  The Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway was ultimately completed by 1924 as a highway aligned between Los Angeles and New York.  

The Victory Highway was formally organized during 1921 as a coast to coast highway aligned from New York to San Francisco.  Unlike the Pikes Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway the alignment of the Victory Highway ultimately always had Reno and Sparks on it's course.  The Victory Highway Association lived on after the creation of the US Route System and became the US Route 40 Association in 1938.  

During 1912 Indiana Businessman Carl G. Fisher conceptualized the Lincoln Highway as a major transcontinental Auto Trail.  The Lincoln Highway was formally dedicated on October 31st, 1913 and was aligned west of Fallon via split branches over the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  The northern branch of the Lincoln Highway is shown on the Lincoln Highway Association's Official Map originally entering Sparks via Glendale Way.  From Glendale Way the Lincoln Highway followed Galletti Way over a no longer existing rail crossing to 4th Street in Reno.  The Lincoln Highway is shown following 4th Street, Virginia Street, 3rd Street and 4th Street through Reno.  A later realignment of the northern Lincoln Highway shows it following Vista Boulevard, Prater Way, Pyramid Way, Victorian Avenue Rock Boulevard and Prater Avenue through Sparks westward to Reno.  A third realignment of the northern Lincoln Highway shows it following Victorian Avenue on a bypass directly towards Pyramid Way.  A connecting spur of the Lincoln Highway is shown originating in downtown Reno which followed Virginia Street towards the southern Lincoln Highway in Carson City. 




During November of 1926 the US Route System was approved by the American Association of State Highway Officials ("AASHO").  US Route 40 can be seen aligned over top the northern Lincoln Highway and Victory Highway through Reno-Sparks on the 1927 National Map Company Sectional Map.  Within Nevada US Route 40 was carried by the designation of Nevada State Route 1.  Early US Route 40 appears to have inherited the existing alignments of the Victory Highway/Lincoln Highway through Reno-Sparks.  

US Route 40 appears to have been straightened in Reno-Sparks largely during the early 1930s.  US Route 40 appears aligned on Victorian Avenue (then B Street) in Sparks and 4th Street in Reno on the 1936 Official Road Map of Nevada



The 1939 Official Road Map of Nevada shows a US Route 40 Alternate in Reno.  US Route 40 Alternate is shown following Alameda Avenue (now Wells Avenue) south from 4th Street and west through downtown Reno via 2nd Street.  US Route 40 Alternate appears to have never been officially authorized by the AASHO as it does not appear in the AASHTO Database.  It is unclear how long US Route 40 Alternate existed in Reno given it doesn't appear on any other editions of the Official Road Map of Nevada.  


On June 29th, 1956 the Federal Highway Aid Act of 1956 was signed into law on the Federal Level.  The Federal Highway Aid Act of 1956 was the genesis point of the Interstate Highway System which would in the coming decades sew the demise via of US Route 40 in Nevada with replacement by Interstate 80. 

The 1968 Official Road Map of Nevada shows Interstate 80 lapping both ends of the Reno-Sparks area with construction approaching downtown Reno from the California State Line.  


The 1969 Official Road Map of Nevada shows Interstate 80 in the process of construction through Reno-Sparks.


The 1972 Official Road Map of Nevada shows Interstate 80 completed through Sparks. 

On November 15th, 1974 the Nevada Department of Transportation in conjunction with states of California and Utah submitted a request to truncate US Route 40 from Truckee, California to Park City, Utah.  The request to truncate US Route 40 was approved by the AASHO Executive Committee on June 17th, 1975.  The request by Nevada to remove US Route 40 seems to have been spurred by the completion of Interstate 80 through Reno.  This action officially removed US Route 40 from the State of Nevada.





Interstate 80 appears completed through Reno on the 1975 Official Road Map of Nevada.  


During the 1976 Nevada State Highway Renumbering what was former US Route 40 in Reno and Sparks was reassigned as Nevada State Route 647.  Over the course of recent decades Nevada State Route 647 has been relinquished to a small segment west of McCarren Avenue (Nevada State Route 659).  Nevada State Route 647 first appears on the 1978-79 Official Road Map of Nevada.  




Part 2; a drive on former US Route 40 in Reno and Sparks

From Interstate 80 westbound former US Route 40 in Sparks can be accessed by taking Exit 19/McCarren Boulevard to Victorian Avenue.  Former US Route 40 on Victorian Avenue is signed Interstate 80 Business.




Former US Route 40 on Victorian Avenue is signed as the Lincoln Highway westbound approaching Nevada State Route 445/Pyramid Way.  







Former US Route 40 westbound on Victorian Avenue enters Victorian Square.  The later Lincoln Highway would have followed former US Route 40 westward to Rock Boulevard where it would have turned north.  









Former US Route 40 would have followed Victorian Avenue westward and merged onto Prater Way.






Former US Route 40 would have continued on Prater Way westward underneath Interstate 80 into the City of Reno onto 4th Street. 




Former US Route 40 westbound on 4th Street continues westward towards downtown passing underneath US Route 395/Interstate 580.




Former US Route 40 continued westward into downtown Reno and would have intersected US Route 395 originally at Virginia Street.  Viriginia Street is presently signed as US Route 395 Business.  













Former US Route 40 on 4th Street crosses under the pedestrian bridge connecting the El Dorado to the Silver Legacy Casino and intersects Sierra Street. 


Former US Route 40 on 4th Street continues west from downtown Reno and becomes Nevada State Route 647 at McCarren Boulevard/Nevada State Route 659.  












Former US Route 40 westbound follows 4th Street/Nevada State Route 647 to a terminus at the western ramp to Interstate 80. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legend of the Ridge Route; a history of crossing the mountains between the Los Angeles Basin and San Joaquin Valley from wagon trails to Interstates

Over the past two decades I've crossed the Interstate 5 corridor from Los Angeles north over the Sierra Pelona Mountains and Tehachapi Range to San Joaquin Valley what seems to be an immeasurable number of times.  While Interstate 5 from Castaic Junction to Grapevine via Tejon Pass today is known to most as "The Grapevine" it occupies a corridor which has been traversed by numerous historic highways.  The most notable of these highways is known as the "Ridge Route."  This article is dedicated to the Ridge Route and the various highways that preceded it.  This blog is part of the larger Gribblenation US Route 99 Page.  For more information pertaining to the other various segments of US Route 99 and it's three-digit child routes check out the link the below. Gribblenation US Route 99 Page Ridge Route corridor introdution The Ridge Route as originally envisioned was a segment of highway which was completed in 1915 between the northern Los Angeles city limit

Establishing the numbering conventions of California's chargeable Interstates

The Federal Highway Aid Act of 1956 brought the Interstate Highway System into existence which would largely be constructed by Federal Highway Administration fund matching.  The Interstate Highway System was deliberately numbered to run opposite the established conventions of the US Route System.  While the Interstate Highway numbering conventions are now well established there was a period during the late 1950s where they were still being finalized.  This blog examines the history of the establishing of the chargeable Interstate Highway route numbers in California.  The above blog cover depicts the Interstate Highway route numbers requested by the Division of Highways in the Los Angeles area during November 1957.  The establishment of the numbering conventions of California's chargeable Interstates The Interstate Highway System was not created in a vacuum by way of the passage of the 1956 Federal Highway Aid Act.  The beginning of the Interstate Highway System can be found in the

California State Route 210 (legacy of California State Route 30)

  California State Route 210 is a forty-mile-long limited access State Highway located in Los Angeles County and San Bernardino County.  California State Route 210 exists as a non-Interstate continuation of Interstate 210 and the Foothill Freeway between California State Route 57 in San Dimas east to Interstate 10 Redlands.  California State Route 210 was previously designated as California State Route 30 until the passage of 1998 Assembly Bill 2388, Chapter 221.  Since 2009 the entirety of what was California State Route 30 has been signed as California State Route 210 upon the completion of the Foothill Freeway extension.  Below westbound California State Route 210 can be seen crossing the Santa Ana River as the blog cover.  California State Route 30 can be seen for the last time on the 2005 Caltrans Map below.  Part 1; the evolution of California State Route 30 into California State Route 210 What was to become California State Route 30 (CA 30) entered the State Highway System duri