Skip to main content

Power House Covered Bridge - Johnson, Vermont

 


Named for a water driven power house located just upstream on the Gihon River in Johnson, Vermont, the Power House Covered Bridge was first constructed in 1870 to connect School Street with the road that became VT Route 100C. In those early years, the covered was first referred to as the School Street Bridge. By 1895, the Village of Johnson constructed a water driven power house just above the bridge, and over time, the covered came to be known as the Power House Bridge.

Originally built as a Queenpost designed covered bridge, the original Power House Covered Bridge spanned 60 feet in length. The queenposts on the original bridge measured 12 by 10 inches, with the diagonal posts measuring 10 by 10 inches. The bridge was reconstructed in 1960, and because the bridge was developing a noticeable sag, further reconstruction of the bridge took place in 1993. The bridge's truss was renovated with much of the original timber replaced. Even with the reconstruction work, the covered bridge continued to sag, and the decision was made to close the bridge again in 1995 for additional restoration work.

On March 8, 2001, an unfortunate event had occurred. The original Power House Covered Bridge was lost on on that date, collapsing from a heavy snow load. The Town Of Johnson determined that the best course of action would be to have a replacement bridge rebuilt as soon as possible. The original bridge had been part of a popular route to and from Johnson State College (now Northern Vermont University-Johnson) and it was necessary to have that method of egress available for traffic to and from the college. The builders Blow and Cote of Morrisville, Vermont submitted the winning bid in November 2001. Work on the new covered bridge happened quickly, beginning in March 2002 and work was completed in June 2002.

The new Power House Covered Bridge stayed true to the original Queenpost design, but is now a 73 foot long bridge. There are open windows along the covered bridge where you can see the Gihon River along with the historic powerhouse. There's even a small cascading waterfall and some rapids. You may find some curiosity seekers along the way as well. I checked out the covered bridge and its surroundings on one fine summer's day, and lived to tell you about it.












How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Power House Bridge 45-08-08
Vermont Covered Bridge Society - Power House Covered Bridge: 1870 - 2001
Vermont Covered Bridge Society - The Power House Covered Bridge
Vermont Covered Bridge Society - Power House Covered Bridge (Replacement)
Vermont Covered Bridge Society - Power House Covered Bridge Rebuild: 2001-2002

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Establishing the numbering conventions of California's chargeable Interstates

The Federal Highway Aid Act of 1956 brought the Interstate Highway System into existence which would largely be constructed by Federal Highway Administration fund matching.  The Interstate Highway System was deliberately numbered to run opposite the established conventions of the US Route System.  While the Interstate Highway numbering conventions are now well established there was a period during the late 1950s where they were still being finalized.  This blog examines the history of the establishing of the chargeable Interstate Highway route numbers in California.  The above blog cover depicts the Interstate Highway route numbers requested by the Division of Highways in the Los Angeles area during November 1957.  The establishment of the numbering conventions of California's chargeable Interstates The Interstate Highway System was not created in a vacuum by way of the passage of the 1956 Federal Highway Aid Act.  The beginning of the Interstate Highway System can be found in the

Legend of the Ridge Route; a history of crossing the mountains between the Los Angeles Basin and San Joaquin Valley from wagon trails to Interstates

Over the past two decades I've crossed the Interstate 5 corridor from Los Angeles north over the Sierra Pelona Mountains and Tehachapi Range to San Joaquin Valley what seems to be an immeasurable number of times.  While Interstate 5 from Castaic Junction to Grapevine via Tejon Pass today is known to most as "The Grapevine" it occupies a corridor which has been traversed by numerous historic highways.  The most notable of these highways is known as the "Ridge Route."  This article is dedicated to the Ridge Route and the various highways that preceded it.  This blog is part of the larger Gribblenation US Route 99 Page.  For more information pertaining to the other various segments of US Route 99 and it's three-digit child routes check out the link the below. Gribblenation US Route 99 Page Ridge Route corridor introdution The Ridge Route as originally envisioned was a segment of highway which was completed in 1915 between the northern Los Angeles city limit

California State Route 210 (legacy of California State Route 30)

  California State Route 210 is a forty-mile-long limited access State Highway located in Los Angeles County and San Bernardino County.  California State Route 210 exists as a non-Interstate continuation of Interstate 210 and the Foothill Freeway between California State Route 57 in San Dimas east to Interstate 10 Redlands.  California State Route 210 was previously designated as California State Route 30 until the passage of 1998 Assembly Bill 2388, Chapter 221.  Since 2009 the entirety of what was California State Route 30 has been signed as California State Route 210 upon the completion of the Foothill Freeway extension.  Below westbound California State Route 210 can be seen crossing the Santa Ana River as the blog cover.  California State Route 30 can be seen for the last time on the 2005 Caltrans Map below.  Part 1; the evolution of California State Route 30 into California State Route 210 What was to become California State Route 30 (CA 30) entered the State Highway System duri