Skip to main content

Travel New England - Woodstock, Vermont

Woodstock is a charming town along US 4 in Central Vermont.  Less than an hour's drive from Lebanon, New Hampshire and Dartmouth College or the ski areas of Killington, the town is considered by some as "The Prettiest Small Town in America."  Woodstock is a blend of small shops, fine dining, inns, art galleries, rolling farmlands, and centuries old homesteads. 

The Woodstock 'Town Crier' Bulletin Board adds to the town's New England charm.
Woodstock's town square, known as "The Green",  is the centerpiece of the town.  From May through October, it is home to a weekly farmer's market.  Also, other events occur on The Green including an annual lobster dinner.  The Woodstock Village Green is also home to a New England legend of a vampire's heart being burned and ashes buried on the Green.  This and other legends throughout New England date to the New England Vampire Panic of the early 19th century.



Adding to its idealistic New England setting, Woodstock is also home to a covered bridge.  The Middle Covered Bridge which carries Mountain Avenue over the Ottaquechee River was built in 1969.  This rare "modern" town lattice covered bridge actually replaced an iron bridge which had stood since 1877.  The Middle Bridge has been a survivor of two damaging events.  The first event occurred in 1974 when arsonists set the bridge ablaze.  The damage took three years and a cost of $55,000 to repair.  More recently, the rains of Hurricane Irene damaged the Middle and other nearby bridges.


One of the interesting features of the Middle Bridge is the incorporated covered sidewalk that allows for spectacular views of the Ottaquechee River.  In addition, something I found interesting is that both portals of the bridge are in different stains.  The north portal is painted white; while the south portal consists of a more natural stain.


The town of around 3,000 people dates back to prior to the Revolutionary War.  Chartered in 1761, Woodstock has transitioned from rural farming community to an early manufacturing town to the  tourist destination that it is today.  

Further Reading:


Getting There:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters