Skip to main content

Travel New England - Village of Quechee

The Ottauquechee River falls over the former Simon Pearce Mill Dam. (August 2006)
Just east of the Quechee Gorge bridge and off of US 4, sits the Village of Quechee.  The village is popular year round and is home to an annual balloon and craft festival held over Father's Day Weekend.  The village highlights the former Simon Pearce Linen Mill which has been converted to shops and restaurants overlooking the Ottauquechee. 
 
Quechee Covered Bridge (August 2006)
Another centerpiece of the town is the Quechee Covered Bridge.  Built in 1970, the bridge is a very popular spot during the summer months.  Underneath the bridge, the Ottauquechee river is a popular swimming spot and numerous swimmers take their turns jumping into the river below from just under the bridge.


The Quechee Covered Bridge during Irene Flooding (Youtube user BJLaF1)

In August of 2011, the remnants of Hurricane Irene ravaged Vermont.  Torrential rains turned the Ottauquechee into a devastating wall of water.  The Village saw significant damage to the Simon Pearce Mill and the roadways into the village.  Amazingly, even though the flood tore away the town approach to the bridge, the Quechee Covered Bridge stood.  Soon after, work began to restore the bridge and the roadways nearby.  The bridge reopened early in 2013.

Getting There:


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro