Skip to main content

Nevada State Route 28

In 2016 I drove the entirety of Nevada State Route 28 twice on the northeast corner of Lake Tahoe.






NV 28 is a 16.3 mile state highway beginning at US Route 50 in Douglas County which travels northwest around the shore of Lake Tahoe.  NV 28 crosses through the outer limits of Carson City and Washoe County before terminating at CA 28. 

The route of NV 28 was apparently paved by 1932 and utilized previous logging roads that had been in use since the 1880s.  NV 28 first appears on the 1933 Nevada State Highway Map running from US Route 50 to the unsigned Legislative Route Number 39 at the California State Line. 

1933 Nevada State Highway Map

In 1954 California reassigned CA 28 to LRN 39 to make a continuous multi-state route with NV 28 while the first CA 28 became CA 128.  The changes to CA 128 and the new assignment of CA 28 can be seen by comparing the 1953 to 1954 State Highway Maps.

1953 California State Highway Map

1954 California State Highway Map 

While NV 28 near the southern terminus is a couple miles away from the Shore Line of Lake Tahoe it does run along side Sand Harbor in Washoe County.




Interestingly NV 28 was one of the few Nevada State Routes that was not renumbered in 1976.  NV 28 and NV 88 kept their number assignments due to route continuity in California.  In 1994 the NDOT designated NV 28 as a Scenic Byway known as the North Shore Road.

In Incline Village NV 28 runs on Tahoe Boulevard and junctions NV 431/Mount Rose Highway.  NV 431 originally was NV 27 prior to being renumbered.  West of Incline Village NV 28 ends at CA 28 in Crystal Bay.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935