Skip to main content

Travel New England - Mill and Cilley Bridges - Tunbridge, Vermont

The Mill and Cilley bridges are two of five covered bridges that sit off of Vermont Route 110 in Tunbridge. A sixth bridge is relatively close by in the Town of Chelsea.  All six bridges cross the North Branch of the White River.  In August of 2006, I was able to check out the Mill and Cilley bridges.

Mill Bridge:


The Mill Bridge receives its name from the 19th Century Hayward and Kibby Mill that still stands near the bridge.  The original Mill Bridge was built in 1883 by Arthur C. Adams.  It was a multiple kingpost bridge and stood until an ice jam destroyed the bridge in the Winter of 1999.   The jam had shifted the bridge off of its abutments; and if jarred loose, the destroyed bridge would have threatened other covered bridges downstream.  It was decided to burn the remnants of the bridge on the river so it would not impact any other bridge.

The former Hayward and Kibby Mill still stands alongside the bridge.
The Central Vermont community rallied quickly to replace the bridge and a new structure built as closely to the original design as possible was in place and open the following year.  The Mill Bridge carries Spring Road and runs just under 72 feet in length.  It is sometimes also known as the Hayward or Noble Bridge.  The original Mill Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Cilley Bridge:



Located less than a mile downstream from the Mill Bridge, the Cilley Covered Bridge carries Howe Lane over the North Branch of the White River.  It was also built in 1883 by Arthur C. Adams.  The bridge was in the process of being restored when visited in August of 2006.  It is a multiple kingpost truss bridge and is just under 67 feet in length.

The Cilley Bridge under rehabilitation in August 2006.
The Cilley Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Further Reading:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, the color of your nearby fire hydrant matters...

...and here's why. You will find White, Red, Yellow and Violet colored fire hydrants pretty much everywhere.  But there's a reason for this - and it's because of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).  This association has issued guidelines for color coding standards for fire hydrants.  These color codes from the body of the hydrant, top of the hydrant, and in some municipalities the outlet caps are designed to allow fire fighters to know what type of system, water flow rate (Gallons Per Minute or GPM), and level of water pressure.  This guideline is known as NFPA 291 and is intended to be used universally throughout the United States. The NFPA guidelines are specific to the body and the top cap of the hydrant.  If a hydrant is WHITE or YELLOW - it means that it is connected to a public/municipal water system.  If a hydrant is RED - the hydrant is connected to a private system, typically a well.  These are most common in rural or unincorporated areas

Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway (in the making since 1947)

On September 15, 2022, the Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway opened in the city of Modesto from California State Route 99 west to North Dakota Avenue.  Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway was built upon a corridor which was tentatively to designated to become the branching point for Interstate 5W in the 1947 concept of the Interstate Highway System.  The present California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor was adopted by the California Highway Commission on June 20, 1956.  Despite almost being rescinded during the 1970s the concept of the California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor lingered on for over half a century and became likely the oldest undeveloped right-of-way owned by California Transportation Commission.  Pictured above is the planned California State Route 132 freeway west of US Route 99 in Modesto as featured in the May/June 1962 California Highways & Public Works.   The history of the California State Route

Aptos Creek Road to the Loma Prieta ghost town site

Aptos Creek Road is a roadway in Santa Cruz County, California which connects the community of Aptos north to The Forest of Nisene Marks State Parks.  Aptos Creek Road north of Aptos is largely unpaved and is where the town site of Loma Prieta can be located.  Loma Prieta was a sawmill community which operated from 1883-1923 and reached a peak population of approximately three hundred.  Loma Prieta included a railroad which is now occupied by Aptos Creek Road along with a spur to Bridge Creek which now the Loma Prieta Grade Trail.  The site of the Loma Prieta Mill and company town burned in 1942.   Part 1; the history of Aptos Creek Road and the Loma Prieta town site Modern Aptos traces its origin to Mexican Rancho Aptos.  Rancho Aptos was granted by the Mexican Government in 1833 Rafael Castro.  Rancho Aptos took its name from Aptos Creek which coursed through from the Santa Cruz Mountains to Monterey Bay.  Castro initially used Rancho Aptos to raise cattle for their hides.  Following