Skip to main content

Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

 


One of the shortest covered bridges in Lancaster County is the Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge, or the Cocalico # 2 Covered Bridge. Spanning 54 feet across the Cocalico Creek in Stevens, Pennsylvania (near Reamstown), the Burr arch truss designed covered bridge was built in 1891. The bridge is painted red, the traditional color of covered bridges in Lancaster County, plus features some white trim at the bridge portal.

Located in the heart of the Amish country, the Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge was built by Elias McMellen at a cost of $1,167. Then in 1892, the covered bridge was damaged heavily in a flood and was rebuilt by McMellen for $1,025. In 1980, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places and the covered bridge was restored in 1997. Today, the Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge is located just off of PA 272 and is a great stop while cruising the byways of Lancaster County.

Cocalico Creek.

4 ton weight limit on the bridge.

Inside the covered bridge.

Some markings on one of the bridge posts about the covered bridge.


A parting shot.


How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Waymarking.com - Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge - Stevens, PA
Bridgehunter.com - Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge 38-36-12
Covered Bridges Photos - Buchers Mills - 1875
Lancaster County Pennsylvania - Covered Bridges
LancasterPA.com - Bucher’s Mill Covered Bridge – Stevens, Lancaster County


Update Log:
December 7, 2021 - Crossposted to Quintessential Pennsylvania (https://quintessentialpa.blogspot.com/2021/12/buchers-mill-covered-bridge.html)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The history of US Route 80 and Interstate 8 in California

The historic corridor of US Route 80 and Interstate 8 through the borderlands of southern California share a largely mutual history.  Both highways originated in the city of San Diego and departed the state at the Colorado River into Yuma, Arizona.  Both highways share numerous famous geographical components such as the Mountain Springs Grade and Algodones Sand Dunes.  This article serves as a comprehensive history of the combined US Route 80/Interstate 8 corridor in California from the tolled stage route era of the nineteenth century to the development of the modern freeway.   The blog cover photo features US Route 80 along the Mountains Springs Grade through In-Ko-Pah Gorge during late 1920s.  This photo is part of the Caltrans McCurry Collection. Part 1; the history of US Route 80 and Interstate 8 in California US Route 80 and Interstate 8 in California share a largely mutual history.  The backstory of both highways is tied heavily to the corridors of the Old Spanish Trail, Legisl

The Central Freeway of San Francisco (US Route 101)

The Central Freeway is a 1.2-mile elevated limited access corridor in the city of San Francisco.  As presently configured the Central Freeway connects from the end of the Bayshore Freeway to Market Street.  The Central Freeway carries the mainline of northbound US Route 101 from the Bayshore Freeway to Mission Street. The Central Freeway has origins with the establishment of Legislative Route Number 223 and is heavily tied to the history of the once proposed Panhandle Freeway.  The Central Freeway between the Bayshore Freeway and Mission Street was completed during 1955.  The corridor was extended to a one-way couplet located at Turk Street and Golden Gate Avenue in 1959 which served to connect US Route 101 to Van Ness Avenue.  The Central Freeway was damaged by the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and has since been truncated to Market Street.   The Central Freeway as pictured on the blog cover was featured in the May/June 1959 California Highways & Public Works.  The scan below is fro

The Bayshore Freeway (US Route 101)

The Bayshore Freeway is a 56.4-mile component of US Route 101 located in the San Francisco Bay Area.  The Bayshore Freeway connects the southern extent of San Jose to the Central Freeway in the city of San Francisco.  The corridor was originally developed as the Bayshore Highway between 1923 and 1937.  The Bayshore Highway would serve briefly as mainline US Route 101 before being reassigned as US Route 101 Bypass in 1938.  Conceptually the designs for the Bayshore Freeway originated in 1940 but construction would be delayed until 1947.  The Bayshore Freeway was completed by 1962 and became mainline US Route 101 during June 1963.   Part 1; the history of the Bayshore Freeway Prior the creation of the Bayshore Highway corridor the most commonly used highway between San Jose and San Francisco was El Camino Real (alternatively known as Peninsula Highway).  The  American El Camino Real  began as an early example of a signed as an Auto Trail starting in 1906.  The era of State Highway Mainte