Skip to main content

Halpin Covered Bridge - New Haven, Vermont

 


Located near Middlebury, Vermont, the Halpin Covered Bridge is Vermont's highest covered bridge above a stream bed. Spanning 41 feet over a natural waterfall on Muddy Branch of the New Haven River, the 66 foot long Town lattice through truss designed covered bridge was originally built in 1824. It was originally built to serve one of the state's earliest marble excavations, the Halpin quarry at Marble Ledge. While the quarry is no longer in use, the bridge is now maintained by the town and serves a farm run by the Halpin family. The original bridge abutments were marble, perhaps coming from the nearby marble quarry.

Also known as the High Covered Bridge, the Halpin Covered Bridge is one of the oldest covered bridges in Vermont. It was rehabilitated in 1994 by builder Jan Lewandowski. While the covered bridge abutments are now made of concrete, the bridge looks to be in good shape for generations to come. The bridge on Halpin Covered Bridge Road can fit one lane of traffic, has a clearance of 9 feet, 9 inches through its portal, and a weight limit of 8 tons. I've had the chance to visit the Halpin Covered Bridge on a couple of occasions, and it is a pleasure to see in all seasons.









How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Addison County Chamber of Commerce - Covered Bridges
Bridgehunter.com - Halpin Covered Bridge 45-01-03
Vermont Covered Bridge Society - The Halpin Covered Bridge
The Travels of Tug 44 - Halpin High Covered Bridge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh