Kalākaua Avenue ("Kalakaua Avenue") is a major city street in the City of Honolulu on the Hawaiian island of O'ahu. Kalakaua Avenue originates in the neighborhood of Makiki near Interstate H-1. Kalakaua Avenue follows a generally eastward course through McCully-Moiliili over the Ala Wai Canel into Waikiki. Kalakaua Avenue through Waikiki is generally a one-way through road which terminates near Diamond Head Crater.
This page is part of the Gribblenation O'ahu Highways page. All Gribblenation and Roadwaywiz media related to the highway system of O'ahu can be found at the link below:
What is now Kalakaua Avenue has been the main point of entry into Waikiki since the 19th Century when it was known as Waikiki Road. Stage service opened for service on Waikiki Road during 1868 which was replaced by a horse driven tramcar system in 1888. Below Waikiki Road can be seen on the 1881 C.J. Lyons Map of O'ahu.
During 1901 electric trolley service opened on Waikii Road. Waikiki Road was renamed during 1908 to Kalakaua Avenue in honor of the last King of Hawaii Kalākaua. Kalakaua Avenue modernized significantly upon the completion of the Ala Wai Canal in 1928. The Ala Wai Canal shunted stream run off into Waikiki which allowed it to transform from a wet land into the tourism district of Honolulu.
During World War II the territory of Hawaii saw an influx of military activity following the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. Numerous Military Routes and early Hawaii Routes were signed through the Hawaiian Territory to aid military personnel in navigating the islands. Military Highways were assigned US Route style shields whereas lesser highways were assigned an early variation of what is now the Hawaii Route Spade. A 1946 Army Map of the Island of O'ahu Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki was assigned as part of Hawaii Route 101. Kalakaua Avenue was an important military connector due to the presence of Fort DeRussy in Waikiki and Fort Ruger at Diamond Head Crater.
Circa 1955 following the conclusion of World War II the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System. The 1955 Hawaii Route renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established. Primary Hawaii Routes were given two digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three digit numbers. The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to. In the case of O'ahu the Island was assigned numbers in the range of 60-99. Kalakaua Avenue was not retained as a Hawaii Route and did not receive a new designation. Kalakaua Avenue can be seen on the 1959 Shell Highway Map of Hawaii without a Hawaii Route designation.
Part 2; exploring KalākauaAvenue
From Interstate H-1 traffic is directed to use Exit 23 onto Punahoa Street to reach Waikiki.
From Punahoa Street southbound traffic can access Kalakaua Avenue by turning west onto Beretania Street. From westbound Beretania Street traffic can access Kalakaua Avenue southbound.
Kalakaua Avenue southbound passes through Makiki and McCully-Moiliili to the Ala Wai Canal into Waikiki.
Within Waikiki southbound Kalakaua Avenue becomes a one-way street and intersects Hawaii Route 92 at Ala Moana Boulevard at Fort DeRussy.
The Fort DeRussy Military Reservation in Waikiki is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Army but functions more as a park during modern times. Fort DeRussy was originally constructed during 1911 along with Battery Randolph. Battery Randolph now houses the U.S. Army Museum of Hawaii.
From Fort DeRussy Beach one can see how much Diamond Head Crater towers of Waikiki.
Kalakaua Avenue has several all-way pedestrian crossings such as the one below at Lewers Street.
Featured below is a Blue Stop Sign seen at Lauula Street and Lewers Street just east of Kalakaua Avenue. Blue Stop Signs are typically seen in Hawaii on private drives given the State prohibits official looking signage.
Kalakaua Avenue southbound at Royal Hawaiian Center Avenue.
Part 3; Roadwaywiz Kalākaua Avenue
During June of 2019 Dan Murphy of the Roadwaywiz Youtube Channel (and Gribblenation) featured real-time drives on Kalakaua Avenue. Below Kalakaua Avenue can be viewed headed eastbound during the daytime.
Below Kalakaua Avenue can be viewed headed eastbound during the nighttime.
Sargent is a ghost town and siding of the Southern Pacific Railroad located in southern Santa Clara County. The original alignment of US Route 101 was aligned through Sargent via what is now known as Old Monterey Road. Sargent was bypassed gradually due to shifts of the alignment of US Route 101 which occurred during 1941 and 1950. Pictured as the blog cover is a view on Old Monterey Road which is now no longer accessible to the general public. Below is a scan of the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Santa Clara County which depicts the original alignment US Route 101 through Sargent. Part 1; the history of US Route 101 in Sargent Sargent lies on land which was once part of Rancho Juristac. During 1856 James P. Sargent purchased Rancho Juristac and plotted what was known as Sargent Ranch. By 1869 the Southern Pacific Railroad coast line reached the relocated town site of Gilroy. The Southern Pacific Railroad coast line would be constructed through Chittenden Pass by 1871 whic
During the winter of 2023 California experienced one of the wettest seasons in recent decades. Enough snow and water were deposited into the Sierra Nevada Mountains that the runoff was enough to partially reform Tulare Lake within San Joaquin Valley. Tulare Lake was once the largest lake west of the Mississippi River by surface area. Tulare Lake has been largely dried for the past century due to irrigation divisions and upstream impoundments. This blog will examine the history of Tulare Lake and its recent return. Pictured as the blog cover is Tulare Lake from 19th Avenue in Kings County during early May 2023. Tulare Lake can be seen near its maximum extent below on the 1876 P.Y. Baker Map of Tulare County . Part 1; the history of Tulare Lake Tulare Lake is the largest remnant of Lake Corcoran. Lake Corcoran once covered much of the entire Central Valley due to being it being located at a in natural low point from where mountain run-off would accumulate. Lake Corcoran is thou
US Route 95 within California exists within San Bernardino County and Riverside County. US Route 95 within California is approximately 130 miles factoring multiplexes along Interstate 10 and Interstate 40. US Route 95 in California begins at the Arizona state line along the Colorado River near Blythe in Riverside County. US Route 95 follows the general course of the Colorado River north through the Sonoran Desert to the Mojave Desert towards Needles of San Bernadino County. US Route 95 enters Nevada north of Interstate 40 and the historic alignment of US Route 66. US Route 95 was extended to Blythe, California during July 1939. Upon US Route 95 entering California during 1939 it overlapped and deleted much of the original California State Route 195. US Route 95 was extended from Blythe into Arizona during June 1960. Part 1; the history of US Route 95 in California The corridor of modern-day US Route 95 in California first came to prominence during the run-up to the creation of