Skip to main content

Rio Puerco Bridge


Driving west of Albuquerque on Interstate 40, an old truss bridge sits just off the highway at Exit 140.  This old Parker Truss Bridge hasn't been in use since 1999, but it was a critical piece that allowed US 66 to make a more direct route through New Mexico.


The Rio Puerco Bridge - built in 1933 - allowed Route 66 to be routed along the "Laguna Cutoff" four years later.  This new direct east-west routing of the highway from Santa Rosa through Albuquerque and Mesita.  This direct route was 107 miles shorter than the S-curved shaped route that took US 66 from Santa Rosa to near Las Vegas, Santa Fe, Bernalillo, Albuquerque south to Los Lunas, and then north and west over today's NM Route 6 towards Mesita.


The Rio Puerco Bridge was a federally funded project that began construction in 1933.  Opened one year later, the bridge is Parker through truss that is 250' long.  When US 66 was twinned in the 1950s, the bridge was rehabilitated to handle more modern traffic loads.  Interstate 40 would eventually be built to the bridge's immediate south, and the Rio Puerco Bridge would serve as part of a frontage road.  In 1999, the bridge was taken out of service when a new bridge to its immediate north was completed.  The bridge has since been preserved as a historic site by the New Mexico Department of Transportation.


Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, the Rio Puerco Bridge is open for tourists and pedestrians to cross and explore.  

All photos taken by post author - April 19, 2010.


Site Navigation:


How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dillon Road

Dillon Road is a 34.2-mile highway located in northern Coachella Valley of Riverside County, California.  Dillon Road begins at Avenue 48 on the outskirts of Indio and ends to the west at California State Route 62 near San Gorgonio Pass.  Dillon Road was developed the 1930s as a construction road for the Colorado River Aqueduct.  Dillon Road serves as a northern bypass to much of the development of Coachella Valley.  Dillon Road is known for it's frequent dips and spectacular views of San Gorgonio Pass.   Part 1; the history of Dillon Road Dillon Road was constructed as a haul road for the Colorado River Aqueduct through Coachella Valley.  The Colorado River Aqueduct spans 242 miles from Parker Dam on the Colorado River west to Lake Mathews near Corona.  Construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct began during January 1933 near Thousand Palms and was made functional on January 7, 1939.  West of Berdoo Canyon Road the alignment of Dillon Road is largely concurrent with the Colorado

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road is an approximately 21-mile highway located in southeast Kern County.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road begins at Tehachapi Boulevard (former US Route 466) in Tehachapi and crosses the Tehachapi Mountains via the 4,820-foot-high Oak Creek Pass.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road enters Antelope Valley of the wider Mojave Desert and passes by the historic stage station of Willow Springs to a southern terminus at Rosamond Boulevard.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road has historic ties to the Havilah-Los Angeles Road and Stockton-Los Angeles Road due to the once reliable presence of water at Willow Springs. Part 1; the history of Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road Oak Creek Pass and Willow Springs were known to the local tribes of the Tehachapi Mountains for generations.  The first documented European crossing of Oak Creek Pass was during 1776 as part of an expedition by Francisco Garces.  Oak Creek Pass is as used again by John C. Fremont during an 1844-1845 expedition to e

Oldtown Toll Bridge - Maryland and West Virginia

  The Oldtown Toll Bridge linking Oldtown, Maryland over the Potomac River with neighboring Green Spring, West Virginia is only one of a few truly privately owned toll bridges located in the United States. It's a simple bridge by design, as the 318 foot long Oldtown Toll Bridge is a low water bridge. Low water bridges are designed to allow water to safely and efficiently flow over the bridge deck. Additionally, a dozen concrete pedestals have been secured in the Potomac River in order to support the bridge and wooden deck. The bridge was constructed in 1937 when a gentleman by the name of Mr. Carpenter obtained the proper permits to build the Bridge through an Act of Congress. This was a blessing for residents, especially on the West Virginia side of the Potomac River, as it saved motorists commuting to Cumberland an hour in travel time. Using Mr. Carpenter's blueprints, the Army Corp of Engineers and a number of local laborers constructed the bridge and it remained under the