Skip to main content

Maui County Route 370

Maui County Route 370 is an approximately 11.8-mile highway which exists on the Island of Maui.  Maui County Route 370 is aligned from Hawaii Route 36/Hana Highway in Kahului and ends at Hawaii Route 37/Kula Highway near Pulehu.  From Kahului, Maui County Route 370 is aligned on approximately 0.1-miles of Hookele Street, 11.6-miles of Pulehu Road and 0.1-miles of Lower Kula Road.  Maui County Route 370 previously terminated in Kahului via a now razed portion of Pulehu Road which once connected directed to Hawaii Route 36/Hana Highway.


Part 1; the history of Maui County Route 370

The Island of Maui seemingly was not part of the original World War II era Hawaii Route System.  Circa 1955 the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System.  The 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established.  Primary Hawaii Routes were given two-digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three-digit numbers.  The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to.  In the case of the Island of Maui it was assigned numbers in the range of 30-40.

Pulehu Road was not one of the original Hawaii Routes on Maui.  Pulehu Road between Kahului and Pulehu can be seen on the 1959 Gousha Map of Hawaii without a Hawaii Route designation.  

According to hawaiihighways.com Maui County Route 370 first appears on a 1976 Maui County planning map and then on a 1981 Maui County Route log.  The first United States Geological Survey Map to clearly display Maui County Route 370 is the 2013 edition for the Paia area.  Maui County Route 370 can be seen terminating at Hawaii Route 36/Hana Highway in Kahului directly via Pulehu Road.  

In recent years the direct connection between Hawaii Route 36/Hana Highway and Pulehu Road has served.  The connection to Maui County Route 370 has been replaced by Hookele Street.  The severing of the direct connection of Pulehu Road to Hawaii Route 36/Hana Highway was installed to make room for the construction of Phase 1 of Hawaii Route 3800 between Hawaii Route 311 east to Hawaii Route 36 during 2014.  

The severed segment of Pulehu Road at Hawaii Route 36/Hana Highway can be seen on Google Maps and 2019 era Google Street View image.    





Part 2; the reconfigured terminus of Maui County Route 370 in Kahului

Maui County Route 370 remains unsigned from Hawaii Route 36/Hana Highway approaching Hookele Street aside from the reference to Pulehu as a control destination.  


Traffic is on Hookele Street is directed onto Maui County Route 370 southbound via a left hand turn onto Pulehu Road.  Strangely the Pulehu Road placard is still displayed with orange construction color.  The sign at the intersection of Hookele Street and Pulehu Road appears to be the only reassurance shield on Maui County Route 370.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third