Skip to main content

Interstate 95 in Baltimore and the Fort McHenry Tunnel


The Fort McHenry Tunnel is a 1.5-mile underwater structure which is a component of Interstate 95 in the city of Baltimore.  The Fort McHenry Tunnel spans under the Patapsco River and Baltimore Harbor from Fort McHenry at Locust Point to Lazarette Point.  The Fort McHenry Tunnel opened to traffic on November 23, 1985, as the final segment of Interstate 95 in Baltimore.  


Part 1; the history of the Fort McHenry Tunnel

As referenced in the introduction the Fort McHenry Tunnel was the final segment of Interstate 95 to be completed in the city of Baltimore.  Prior to the completion of the Fort McHenry Tunnel the majority of limited access traffic used the Baltimore Habor Tunnel which had opened to traffic on November 29, 1957, as part of the Harbor Tunnel Throughway.  The entirety of the Harbor Tunnel Throughway was designated as Interstate 895 during 1979 as a non-chargeable Interstate.  

A bridge was first considered as the final link for Interstate 95 in Baltimore over Baltimore Harbor.  The bridge concept was ultimately deemed to be undesirable due to the impact on the aesthetic of Fort McHenry and Locust Point.  The final design for Interstate 95 under Baltimore Harbor consisted of four sunken tubes which would span 1.5-miles from Locust Point to Lazarette Point.  Construction of the Fort McHenry Tunnel broke ground during June 1980 and would open to traffic on November 23, 1985.  The Fort McHenry Tunnel was completed at an approximate cost of $750,000,000.  



Part 2; a drive on Interstate 95 through Baltimore and the Fort McHenry Tunnel

Interstate 95 northbound passes by Interstate 695 at Exit 49A-B and enters the city of Baltimore.  From Exit 50A-B traffic can access Canton Avenue.  Interstate 95 in Baltimore is designated as the 10.3-mile Fort McHenry Tunnel facility by the Maryland Transportation Authority








Interstate 95 northbound Exit 51 accesses Washington Boulevard. 





Interstate 95 northbound Exit 52 accesses Russel Street.  



Interstate 95 northbound Exit 53 accesses Interstate 395.  Interstate 395 can be used to access downtown Baltimore and Inner Baltimore Harbor.  



Interstate 95 northbound Exit 54 accesses Maryland Route 2 at Hanover Street.  




Interstate 95 northbound Exit 55 accesses Key Highway and Fort McHenry National Monument.  Traffic on northbound Interstate 95 is notified Key Highway is the last Exit before the Fort McHenry Tunnel toll.  


Northbound Interstate 95 crosses under the Patapsco River and Baltimore Harbor via Fort McHenry Tunnel tubes 3 and 4.  The Fort McHenry Tunnel sees approximately 123,000 vehicles daily according to Maryland Transportation Authority traffic data.  







Interstate 95 emerges from the Fort McHenry Tunnel at Lazaretto Point at a series of toll gantries.  The current toll rate for use of the Fort McHenry Tunnel is $4.00 for passenger vehicles.  All-electric tolling of the Fort McHenry Tunnel was made permanent during August 2020.  Traffic wishing to use Exit 56 towards Keith Avenue must stay in the right two lanes of the Fort McHenry Tunnel via tube 4 to reach it beyond the toll gantries.  


Interstate 95 northbound Exit 57 accesses Boston Street.  




Interstate 95 northbound Exit 58 accesses Dundalk Avenue.  




Interstate 95 northbound Exit 59 accesses Maryland Route 150 at Eastern Avenue. 



Interstate 95 northbound Exit 60 accesses Moravia Road whereas Exit 61 accesses US Route 40 at Pulaski Highway.  




North of US Route 40/Pulaski Highway, Interstate 95 departs the city of Baltimore.  




Part 3; Fort McHenry National Monument

As noted in Part 2, Interstate 95 Exit 55 accesses Fort McHenry National Monument.  Fort McHenry is the namesake structure for the Fort McHenry Tunnel.


The site of Fort McHenry sits of what was Fort Whetstone which existed from 1776-1797.  Fort McHenry was designed by Jean Foncin as an enhanced fortification of the Port of Baltimore.  Construction of Fort McHenry would begin during 1798 and would be completed during 1800.  The design of Fort McHenry is a bastioned octagon which furthered fortified by a moat.  Fort McHenry was named in honor of James McHenry who was a delegate of Maryland to Continental Congress and a signer of the United States Constitution.  

Fort McHenry is most well-known for the role it played during the War of 1812.  On September 13, 1814, Fort McHenry came under British warship bombardment via an attack led by Vice Admiral Alexander Cochrane.  Fort McHenry withstood bombardment for 25 hours and ultimately repulsed the British invasion of Baltimore Harbor.  The garrison flag of Fort McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore would come to be known as the Star-Spangled Banner and was the inspiration for the poem Defense of Fort McHenry.  The words of Defense of Fort McHenry set to the tune of To Anacreon of Heaven became the National Athem of the United States during 1931. 

Fort McHenry would see military service until World War II when it last served as a Coast Guard installation.  During 1933 the historic fortification at Fort McHenry was transferred to the National Park Service.  Fort McHenry would be designated a National Monument and National Shrine on August 11, 1939.   Fort McHenry remains the only National Park Service unit to designated as a National Shrine.









Comments

ParrotRob said…
It's Caton Avenue, not Canton Avenue (exits 50A-B).

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935