Skip to main content

Ocean County Route 607 to Barnegat Light


Ocean County Route 607 is an 18.07-mile highway which exists on New Jersey's Long Beach Island.  Ocean County Route 607 begins at McKinley Avenue in Long Beach Township on the southern tip of Long Beach Island and terminates at Barnegat Lighthouse State Park at the northern tip.  Ocean County Route 607 follows Long Beach Boulevard, Bay Avenue, Long Beach Boulevard, Central Avenue and Broadway on Long Beach Island.  The current Barnegat Light was constructed during 1859 and can be found at the northern terminus of Ocean County Route 607 at Barnegat Lighthouse State Park. 




Part 1; a general history of the Ocean County Route 607 corridor and Barnegat Light

Long Beach Island has been continuously inhabited since 1690.  Long Beach Island was originally popular with whaling parties which could access the Atlantic Ocean through Barnegat Inlet.  The frequent use of Barnegat Inlet led to the construction of a lighthouse during 1835.  The original lighthouse at Barnegat Inlet was destroyed by erosion during 1857 which led to the current Barnegat Light being erected during 1859.

A rail trestle to Long Beach Island was constructed by the Tuckerton Railroad during 1885-86.   The Long Beach Island Bridge was completed during 1914 alongside the existing rail trestle.  The Long Beach Railroad eventually was washed out during 1935 and was never replaced.  The Long Beach Island Bridge can be seen below in an undated photo.  New Jersey Route S40 was extended east from Manahawkin onto Long Beach Island and Long Beach Boulevard sometime between 1927-1939.  


New Jersey Highway S40 was reassigned as New Jersey Route 72 during the 1953 New Jersey State Highway Renumbering.  New Jersey Route 72 can be seen on the 1956 Shell Highway Map of New Jersey.  It isn't clear when Ocean County Route 607 was applied to the north/south corridor on Long Beach Island.  


During 1959 the original span of the Manahawkin Bay Bridge opened as replacement for the Long Beach Island Bridge.  The original Manahawkin Bay Bridge is a deck girder design which is 2,400.1 feet in length.   During 2000 the Manahawkin Bay Bridge was renamed in honor of New Jersey Department of Transportation Engineer Donald J. Henderson.  Construction of the new Dorland J. Henderson Memorial Bridge span began during May 2013 and was completed during July 2016.  Following the opening of the new span of the Dorland J. Henderson Memorial Bridge the original span went through the process of rehabilitation between November 2016 to November 2019.  



Part 2; a drive on Ocean County Route 607 to Barnegat Light

New Jersey Route 72 eastbound terminates on Long Beach Island in Ship Bottom at Ocean County Route 607/Long Beach Boulevard via 9th Street.  Ocean County Route 607 can be utilized by turning north or south.  Barnegat Light is accessed from New Jersey Route 72 via a northbound turn onto Ocean County Route 607. 


Northbound Ocean County Route 607 passes through Ship Bottom, Surf City, North Beach, Harvey Cedars and Loveladies on Long Beach Boulevard before entering the community of Barnegat Light along Central Avenue.


























Ocean County Route 607 northbound makes a left-hand shift onto Broadway and terminates at Barnegat Lighthouse State Park.




Barnegat Lighthouse State Park was created during 1951 and is centered around the grounds of Barnegat Light.  Barnegat Light State Park has a small trail system and locations to fish on a sea wall.  Barnegat Light is presently undergoing a restoration which is scheduled for completion during Spring 2023.  Barnegat Light was automated during 1927 and is 169 feet tall.  















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) (Baltimore, MD)

The Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) was a steel continuous truss bridge that spanned the Patapsco River in Baltimore, MD. Situated at the entrance to Baltimore’s Outer Harbor, the bridge carried Interstate 695 (part of the Baltimore Beltway) and was a visible symbol of the city and the state of Maryland. This bridge no longer exists due to its collapse as the result of a collision with a large container ship on March 26, 2024. The following piece will discuss the history and life of the Key Bridge, the important details surrounding the incident that caused its collapse, and the in-progress recovery efforts at the site. This piece will also discuss the economic impacts to the city and region as a result of the collapse and will look ahead at what to expect from a potential replacement crossing in the future. Part 1 - History of the Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) Planning for what was originally known as the “Baltimore Outer Harbor Crossing” began in the 1950s at the dawn of