Part 1; the history of Hawaii Route 30
The corridor of Honoapiilani Highway connects the communities of Wailuku and Lahaina. Both Wailuku and Lahaina carry significant historic significance to the Hawaiian Islands.
Wailuku is the Maui County Seat and is the longest-lived continuous community on the Island of Maui. Wailuku was once the location where Maui King Piilani once ruled over the united island. Wailuku was later the site of Kamehameha's victory at the Battle of Kepaniwai during 1790. During 1860s the site of Wailuku became the hub location for the operations of the Wailuku Sugar Company. By 1905 Wailuku became the Maui County Seat and has retained it since.
The predecessor to Honoapiilani Highway is the King's Highway. During the 16th Century a 138-mile belt road known as the King's Highway was constructed around the island perimeter under the direction Maui King Kiha-a-Piilani. King's Highway was the paved with hand fitted lava rocks and was the first perimeter road on any Hawaiian Island. King's Highway was four to six feet wide and was intended to facilitate rapid foot travel around Maui.