Skip to main content

Cadillac Ranch


Perhaps one of the more visually interesting sights along the highways of North America is the Cadillac Ranch, which can be seen off of Interstate 40 and old US 66, just west of Amarillo, Texas. Cadillac Ranch wasn't a stopover for travelers of the US 66 of yore, as it was an art and sculpture installation that was erected in 1973 and 1974.

Texas millionaire Stanley Marsh, 3 was the mastermind behind Cadillac Ranch. In 1973, Marsh invited an artist group from San Francisco called the Ant Farm to help him in the creation of a unique work of art for his sprawling ranch just west of Amarillo.

Ant Farm acquired ten used Cadillacs, ranging from 1948 to 1963. Erected along historic US Route 66, the cars were purchased from junk yards, and averaged about $200. The cars were then buried nose down, facing west along the old highway. In 1974, Cadillac Ranch was completed and visitors began to arrive from all over. Curiosity seekers and passers-by were leaving their mark on the graffiti-covered cars. In 1997, the Cadillac Ranch was moved about two miles to the west, in order to have a little more breathing room from Amarillo. Other than that, Cadillac Ranch has remained the same since the beginning.





Site Navigation:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935