Skip to main content

The Leaning Tower of Texas - Britten Water Tower - Groom, TX


Route 66 is full of landmarks - quirky, natural, or historic.  Many date to the highway's heyday of the 1930-50s.  However, one of the more well-known landmarks dates to the final days of the Mother Road.  Located in the small town of Groom, the Leaning Tower of Texas dates to around 1980 - the last few years of US 66's existence.

Truck Stops along the Interstate and major highways are a dime a dozen, and in the Western US, you will find them in every size imaginable, from small mom-and-pop operations to large corporate travel centers.  The former Britten Truck Stop is just one of many along Interstate 40 or old Route 66.


The story of the leaning water tower is that around 1980, truck stop owner Ralph Britten purchased the water tower as a water supply for his business.  When Britten realized that he did not have a need for the water tower - there was a better and simpler source - he decided to use the water tower as a way to market his truck stop.  Groom and his sons used a bulldozer to tilt the water tower 10 degrees.  Nothing structurally supports the tower, just two legs are buried in the ground.

The Town of Groom lights the star on top of the leaning tower at Christmas-time.

In 1980, Interstate 40 was completed in the area and bypassed Groom. The leaning tower was an instant success and a boon to the business.  The truck stop sign had a miniature replica of the tower on top.  Sadly, in 1985, an electrical fire destroyed the truck stop, and the Britten's decided not to rebuild.  The only remains of the truck stop today are the structure of the old highway sign, a small truck service shop on the old grounds, and of course, the leaning tower - which remains a popular roadside photo attraction to this day.

All photos taken by post author - April 18, 2010.


Site Navigation:


Sources & Links:

How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935