Skip to main content

Florida State Road 50 Part 2; Sumter County

Picking up from Part 1 of the Florida State Road 50 series Part 2 covers the sections of the highway headed eastward within Sumter County.


Part 1 of the Florida State Road 50 series can be found below:

Florida State Road Part 1; history of the highway and Hernando County portion

As stated in Part 1 the route of FL 50 east enters the Green Swamp in eastern Hernando County.  At the Little Withlacoochee the route of FL 50 enters Sumter County.



At County Road 757 the route of FL 50 east meets it's original right of way which once continued west to Riverland Road in Hernando County.


Back in 2014 I spent time tracking down former alignments of what is now FL 50 on the north side of the Green Swamp in Hernando County and Sumter County.  As stated above the original right of way that likely was part of early FL 50 used was Riverland Road in Hernando County and County Road 757 in Sumter County to cross the Little Withlacoochee River.  The original right of way can be seen on the 1936 Hernando County and 1936 Sumter County Road Map from Part 1.

Heading westward from modern FL 50 towards the Little Withlacoochee reveals a narrow roadway with several abandoned homes.






County Road 757 ends at a gate just short of the Little Withlacoochee River and Hernando County Line.  The former community of Riverland and Richloam are to the west on Riverland Road on the Hernando County side.



Back tracking west to Hernando County briefly.  In Part 1 of the Florida State Road 50 series the original route right of way is shown on rhe 1936 Eastern Hernando County road map diverting from the modern highway at Clay Sink-Richloam Road.  From Clay Sink-Richloam Road the original highway entered the community of Richloam and turned eastward towards the Little Withlacoochee River to Riverland here on Riverland Road.  Below is the turn from Clay Sink-Richloam Road eastward on Riverland Road. 


Returning to modern FL 50 the highway next has a junction with CR 478A just east of County Road 757.


FL 50 east enters the community of Tarrytown where it has a junction with FL 471.  FL 471 is the primary north/south road through the Green Swamp.



Tarrytown was a lumber town that was along the Orange Belt Railway.  Although Tarrytown is still listed as an active community there isn't very much left that one would discern as "town like."  On the northeast corner FL 50 and FL 471 there is one older structure that was recently repainted.  The Orange Belt Railway used to cross through the sawmill located on the southwest side of FL 50 and FL 471.  The Orange Belt Railway operated during the late 1880s and early 1890s before being reorganized.  The Orange Belt Railway eventually was acquired by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1902.


FL 50 east of FL 471 to the Van Fleet Trail is signed as a "Florida Scenic Highway."


East of FL 471 the route of FL 50 has Groveland listed 13 miles away while Orlando is shown as 42 miles away.


FL 50 east quickly enters the community of Linden.


The original right of way diverted from modern FL 50 in Linden at County Road 772B.  The original highway crossed over to the south side of Atlantic Coast Line Railroad, the path of County Road 772B still bears marks from a former crossing.  To the left of the photo below the Atlantic Coast Line was located between County Road 772B and modern FL 50.  The original highway continued east on County Road 772B where it rejoined modern FL 50 in Mabel near the Van Fleet Trail.


Linden as a community is very old and dates back to the 1840s.





The Scenic portion of FL 50 east ends in Mabel at the Van Fleet Trail.  Oddly FL 50 doesn't directly connect to the Van Fleet Trail which can only be accessed via County Road 772B.  The Van Fleet Trail is a 29.2 paved trail through the Green Swamp which was built on the grade of the Florida Western and Northern corridor line of the Seaboard Air Line Railroad.




East of Mabel the route of FL 50 intersects CR 469 which accesses Center Hill.



East of CR 469 the route of FL 50 enters Lake County.


Part 3 of the Florida State Road 50 series features the highway in Lake County.

Florida State Road 50 Part 3; Lake County


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 1 over Old Pedro Mountain Road

California State Route 1 in western San Mateo County traverses the Montara Mountain spur of the Santa Cruz Mountains.  In modern times California State Route 1 passes through Montara Mountain via the Tom Lantos Tunnels and the highway is traditionally associated with Devils Slide.  Although Devils Slide carries an infamous legacy due it being prone landslides it pales in comparison to the alignment California State Route 1 carried prior to November 1937 over Old Pedro Mountain Road.   Old Pedro Mountain Road opened to traffic in 1915 and is considered one of the first major asphalted highways in California.  Old Pedro Mountain Road clambers over a grade from Montara towards Pacifica via the 922 foot high Saddle Pass.  Pictured above an overlook of Old Pedro Mountain Road facing southward towards Montara as it appears today.  Pictured below it the same view during June 1937 when it was part of the original alignment of California State Route 1.  Today Old Pedro Mountain sits abandoned a

California State Route 232

This past month I drove the entirety of California State Route 232 in Ventura County. CA 232 is an approximately 4 miles State Highway aligned on Vineland Avenye which begins near Saticoy at CA 118 and traverses southwest to US Route 101 in Oxnard.  The alignment of CA 232 was first adopted into the State Highway System in 1933 as Legislative Route Number 154 according to CAhighways.org. CAhighways.org on LRN 154 As originally defined LRN 154 was aligned from LRN 9 (future CA 118) southwest to LRN 2/US 101 in El Rio.  This configuration of LRN 154 between CA 118/LRN 9 and US 101/LRN 2 can be seen on the 1935 California Division of Highways Map of Ventura County. 1935 Ventura County Highway Map According to CAhighways.org the route of LRN 154 was extended west from US 101/LRN 2 to US 101A/LRN 60 in 1951.  Unfortunately State Highway Maps do not show this extension due to it being extremely small. During the 1964 State Highway Renumbering LRN 154 was assigned CA 232.  Of n

Former US Route 101 and California State Route 1 in San Luis Obispo

Originally US Route 101 upon descending Cuesta Pass southbound entered the City of San Luis Obispo via Monterey Street.  From Monterey Street US Route 101 utilized Santa Rosa Street and Higuera Street southbound through downtown San Luis Obispo.  Upon departing downtown San Luis Obispo US Route 101 would have stayed on Higuera Street southward towards Pismo Beach and Arroyo Grande.  Notably; beginning in 1934 US Route 101 picked up California State Route 1 at the intersection of Monterey Street/Santa Rosa Street where the two would multiplex to Pismo Beach.  Pictured below is the 1 935 Division of Highways Map of San Luis Obispo County depicting the original alignments of US Route 101 and California State Route 1 in the City of San Luis Obispo.   Part 1; the history of US Route 1 and California State Route 1 in San Luis Obispo San Luis Obispo lies at the bottom of the Cuesta Pass (also known as the Cuesta Grade) which has made it favored corridor of travel for centuries.  Cuesta Pass