Skip to main content

Former alignments of GA 139 and 314 around Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport

When an airport expands, the growing facility usually takes a lot with it.  And in the case of the early 2000's runway expansion of Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, many changes were made to the highway system surrounding it.  Both Georgia Highways 139 and 314 have not been immune to the airport's expansion.  The first changes occurred in the early to mid 1970's.  That expansion of the airport led to a rerouting of GA 139 and a change to the terminus of GA 314.  The 1978 GDOT map (above right) shows the results of the 1970s expansion.
 
Nearly 30 years later, another runway expansion would alter the southern grounds of the airport.  Along with other surface streets, GA 139 and 314 were greatly impacted.  GA 139 now snakes its way through the airport grounds while GA 314 has been scaled back to end at GA 139 just inside the Perimeter (Interstate 285).  The changes to both routes and various surface streets have left interesting pockets of former alignments of the two state highways within the airport's grounds.  Back in 2004-2006, John Krakoff documented some of the surprises that were still left standing.

Former Northern Terminus of GA 314:
Looking North down former GA 314 at its prior northern terminus at what was once GA 139.  The fence to the right is the current limits of the runway expansion. (John Krakoff)


What was at one time the first GA 314 shield southbound.  As you can see, there's not much left of Highway 314.  Running just below the horizon in this photo is the realigned GA 139. (John Krakoff)
At the old northern terminus of GA 314, you are no longer able to take a right turn onto what once was GA 139 South. (John Krakoff)
A zoomed in shot of a leftover GA 139 South shield. (John Krakoff)


Leftover signage:
An archaic Stop Ahead warning sign (John Krakoff)
A set of leftover GA 314 shields. (John Krakoff)

An aging 'JCT' GA 314 shield found along a surface street. (John Krakoff)
Current Northern GA 314 Terminus:
A 'JCT' South GA 314 shield is found along GA 139 North. (John Krakoff)

The 'END' GA 314 assembly marking the new northern terminus of GA 314.  The expanded airport runway is located right behind the sign and fence. (John Krakoff)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car