Skip to main content

Washington State Route 303 and Washington State Route 308

Initially I was going to create two posts for Washington State Routes 303 and 308 but decided to combine them given how closely related the history of both are.  Below I'll document WA 303 first followed by WA 308.



Washington State Route 303 is an approximately 9.3 mile state highway entirely located in Kitsap County.  WA 303 runs from WA 3 in Silverdale southeast to to WA 304 in Bremerton.  From WA 3 in Silverdale the alignment of WA 303 is on a short freeway known as Waaga Way which becomes an at-grade expressway at Bucklin Hill Road.









WA 303 has a significant junction with Brownsville Highway which was once part of the route.  Prior to the completion of the Waaga Way Freeway in 1991 WA 303 ran north to Keyport and what is now WA 308.  WA 303 was created out of WA PSH 21B when the state highways were renumbered in 1964.  I'm to understand that WA 308 was created out of WA 303 in 1971 from Keyport west to WA 3.


As WA 303 turns southward it becomes Warren Avenue and enters the city of Bremerton.  Traffic is greeted by this odd sign  announcing the city boundary of Bremerton.


WA 303 once had a junction with WA 306 at Sylvan Way.  WA 306 was a short state highway that continued east to Illahee State Park.  WA 306 was created out of a spur of WA PSH 21B in 1964 and was deleted possibly in 1993.

WA 303 crosses the Port Washington Narrows on the Warren Avenue Bridge into downtown Bremerton. 




The Warren Avenue Bridge was completed in 1958 which was a routing replacement of the 1930  Manette Bridge.  The Warren Avenue Bridge made for a much more direct route into downtown Bremerton than the 1930 Manette Bridge.  The 1930 Manette Bridge routing required using Wheaton Way to traverse further south on the Port Washington Narrows. On a clear day the 2011 Manette Bridge, Mount Rainier and the Olympic Range can be seen from the Warren Avenue Bridge.





In downtown Bremerton there are various signs on WA 303/Warren Avenue directing traffic to the ferry terminal.  WA 303 ends at WA 304 which is on Burwell Street, ferry traffic must turn east on WA 304 to reach the Bremerton-Seattle Ferry.








WA 308 is approximately 3.4 miles and begins at a dead-end gate at the Naval Base Kitsap Keyport.





WA 308 westbound traverses through Keyport before emerging over a lagoon.  WA 308 has a minor junction with Brownsville Highway which as mentioned above was part of WA 303.







There isn't a ton of signage on WA 308 but it does exist west of Brownsville Highway.





WA 308 junctions Silverdale Way/Viking Way which was the original alignment of WA 3.






WA 308 continues west until it reaches a junction with WA 3 where it terminates.






For reference the 1956 Washington State Highway Map shows the alignment of WA PSH 21B before the 1964 state highway renumbering.

1956 State Highway Map


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro