Skip to main content

Seattle Underground and the great street regarding of Pioneer Square

The final location I checked out before leaving Washington was in the Pioneer Square neighborhood; the Seattle Underground.






The Seattle Underground is a series of catacombs beneath Pioneer Square which were the original street grade.  When Denny Party arrived in what is now Seattle they attempted to establish a settlement called New York Alki on Alki Point in what is now the modern neighborhood of West Seattle.  The settlement was moved across Elliott Bay in 1852 to a low lying flat land which became the Pioneer Square neighborhood of Seattle.

Pioneer Square was surveyed during low tides which led to various problems as the City of Seattle began to grow.  Waste plumbing was pumped into Elliott Bay via a wooden pipe system which would often back flow into the buildings during high tide.  In addition to the plumbing issues Pioneer Square was subject to frequent flooding from Elliott Bay.  The majority of original buildings in Seattle were wooden which would ultimately lead to their demise during the Great Seattle Fire of 1889.

The Great Seattle Fire burned over 30 city blocks which led to Pioneer Square largely being obliterated.  As the City of Seattle began to rebuild a decision to regrade the streets 10-30 feet higher was made to curtail flooding and the frequent plumbing back flow.  The City of Seattle used the surrounding hills east of Pioneer Square to regrade all the streets to their current level but left land owners the responsibility of regarding their own property lots.  This led to a situation where side walks and buildings had to be accessed from street level via use of ladders.  Buildings were often built with a entrance at the original street grade and a second floor entrance at the anticipated grade.  This ironically led to a situation where 17 people died falling off ladders trying to access side walks from Seattle streets whereas nobody died during the Great Seattle Fire.

Eventually the entirety of original street grade of Pioneer Square was covered by side walks which led to them to becoming the Seattle Underground.   Shops in the Seattle Underground still remained open until 1907 when the City condemned them due to concerns over Bubonic Plague.  During the 1960s there was a push to raze Pioneer Square and fill in the Seattle Underground with concrete.  The Seattle Under Tour was opened by local historian Bill Speidel in 1965 and Pioneer Square was later added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.   Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park was later created in Pioneer Square in 1976.

Today the Seattle Underground Tour is operated out of the Pioneer Building at 1st Avenue and Yesler Way.  The Pioneer Building is a six-story structure completed in 1892.







The photo below is looking east on Yesler Way.  Before Pioneer Square was regraded Yesler Way was originally a 49% grade known as Mill Street which carried the nickname of "Skid Row."  Logs would be greased up and slid down Mill Street towards the Seattle Waterfront.  The term "Skid Row" eventually became to be a commonly used term for a urban neighborhood in decline.





There are several other interesting sites aside from Yesler Way on the photo above.  From left-to-right the Pioneer Building, Columbia Center, the Sinking Ship parking garage and Smith Tower can be seen.  Smith Tower at 484 feet was completed in 1914 and was the tallest building in Seattle until the Space Needle was built, the Columbia Center is now the tallest building at 933 feet.  The parking garage known as the "Sinking Ship" was built in the 1960s as part of the initial stages of the "revitalization" plans for Pioneer Square.  Previously the Seattle Hotel which had been built in 1890 occupied the land the Sinking Ship sits on, a photo of it can be seen here.

Pioneer Square 1917

The Seattle Underground Tour goes through three repaired areas of the Underground.  The first area is located at the northeast intersection of 1st Avenue and Yesler Way.


The original ground level of what was the Northern Hotel.






Another original entrance to a building at the former street level of 1st Avenue.





Glass sky lights let in sunlight to the Underground at the corner of 1st Avenue and Yesler Way.



The remains of an entrance to a bank building along Yesler Way.






The original entrance for the Schwabacher Building.





The next annex the Underground Tour goes through is located on the south side of the junction of Yesler Way and James Street.






The floor under James Street and Yesler is starting to subside.  Apparently when Pioneer Square was being rebuilt the building foundations were on top of old lumber scrap.  As the lumber scrap began to decay some of the floors started to sink.





I can't verify if this toilet is original or a set-piece.





111 Yesler Way can be seen painted on the walls facing north from Occidental Avenue.





The original surface entrance for the Oriental House.







Facing east towards Occidental Avenue.


The third annex explored by the Underground Tour is the original entrance to the Pioneer Building.





An example of what the wooden piping in Pioneer Square would have looked like before the Great Seattle Fire.


Suffice to say the original street grade entrance of the Pioneer Building is far less ornate than the regraded entrance.  I suppose it wouldn't make sense to spend a lot of money decorating an entrance that would be buried.


Update:  I found this 1884 bird's eye map of Seattle and Pioneer Square.  Mill Street and the giant hillside are very apparent on the right hand side of the map.

1884 Seattle Map

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, the color of your nearby fire hydrant matters...

...and here's why. You will find White, Red, Yellow and Violet colored fire hydrants pretty much everywhere.  But there's a reason for this - and it's because of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).  This association has issued guidelines for color coding standards for fire hydrants.  These color codes from the body of the hydrant, top of the hydrant, and in some municipalities the outlet caps are designed to allow fire fighters to know what type of system, water flow rate (Gallons Per Minute or GPM), and level of water pressure.  This guideline is known as NFPA 291 and is intended to be used universally throughout the United States. The NFPA guidelines are specific to the body and the top cap of the hydrant.  If a hydrant is WHITE or YELLOW - it means that it is connected to a public/municipal water system.  If a hydrant is RED - the hydrant is connected to a private system, typically a well.  These are most common in rural or unincorporated areas

Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway (in the making since 1947)

On September 15, 2022, the Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway opened in the city of Modesto from California State Route 99 west to North Dakota Avenue.  Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway was built upon a corridor which was tentatively to designated to become the branching point for Interstate 5W in the 1947 concept of the Interstate Highway System.  The present California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor was adopted by the California Highway Commission on June 20, 1956.  Despite almost being rescinded during the 1970s the concept of the California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor lingered on for over half a century and became likely the oldest undeveloped right-of-way owned by California Transportation Commission.  Pictured above is the planned California State Route 132 freeway west of US Route 99 in Modesto as featured in the May/June 1962 California Highways & Public Works.   The history of the California State Route

Aptos Creek Road to the Loma Prieta ghost town site

Aptos Creek Road is a roadway in Santa Cruz County, California which connects the community of Aptos north to The Forest of Nisene Marks State Parks.  Aptos Creek Road north of Aptos is largely unpaved and is where the town site of Loma Prieta can be located.  Loma Prieta was a sawmill community which operated from 1883-1923 and reached a peak population of approximately three hundred.  Loma Prieta included a railroad which is now occupied by Aptos Creek Road along with a spur to Bridge Creek which now the Loma Prieta Grade Trail.  The site of the Loma Prieta Mill and company town burned in 1942.   Part 1; the history of Aptos Creek Road and the Loma Prieta town site Modern Aptos traces its origin to Mexican Rancho Aptos.  Rancho Aptos was granted by the Mexican Government in 1833 Rafael Castro.  Rancho Aptos took its name from Aptos Creek which coursed through from the Santa Cruz Mountains to Monterey Bay.  Castro initially used Rancho Aptos to raise cattle for their hides.  Following