Skip to main content

Newfield Covered Bridge

A blanket of snow covers the Newfield Covered Bridge (Doug Kerr -February 2010)
Just off of New York State Route 13 in the Village of Newfield is the oldest standing covered bridge in the state that you are still able to drive across.  Built in 1853 at a cost of $800, the Newfield Covered Bridge crosses the West Branch of the Cayuga Inlet.

Adam Prince - May 2012
The Town Lattice Truss bridge was dedicated to Elijah Moore, a son of an early settler.  Since the being saved by local citizens in the early 1970s, the bridge has been rehabilitated twice.  A 1998 rehabilitation added the Musser Overlook.  The overlook is named after Grant and Marie Musser and were known as the "Official Keepers of the Bridge."  It was their efforts that saved the bridge from being removed.  The bridge would be added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.

Bridge Specs:
  • Number: 32-55-01
  • Design: Town Lattice
  • Length: 115 Feet
  • Crosses: West Branch of Cayuga Inlet
  • Built: 1853

The Newfield Covered Bridge from the Musser Overlook.  (Doug Kerr - February 2010)




Further Reading:



How To Get There:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car