Skip to main content

Felton Covered Bridge

On a recent Bay Area trip I visited the Felton Covered Bridge located on the San Lorenzo River in the Santa Cruz Mountains.


The Felton Covered Bridge specifically is located in the community of Felton and was constructed between 1892 to 1893.  The Felton Covered Bridge was the first modernized road crossing of the San Lorenzo River into Felton which spans 80 feet.  The Felton Covered Bridge is typically cited as the tallest Covered Bridge in the United States and stayed in service as a roadway until 1937 when a new crossing was built directly to the north.  The Felton Covered Bridge was converted to a pedestrian structure and is now part of Covered Bridge Park.  The Felton Covered Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1957 and underwent restoration which was completed by 1987.



The Felton Covered Bridge can be accessed from both sides of the San Lorenzo River via Covered Bridge Road.   The photos below are from the western bank of the San Lorenzo River.



The tall height of the Felton Covered Bridge is best observed from the east bank of the San Lorenzo River.






This 1896 Area Map of the Santa Cruz Mountains and San Francisco Bay shows the Felton Covered Bridge crossing the San Lorenzo River in Felton.

1896 Area Map

The 1935 California Divisions of Highways Map shows the route over the Felton Covered Bridge just a couple years prior to it being replaced upstream.

1935 Santa Cruz County Highway Map

The above map shows a Southern Pacific Spur Line between Santa Cruz and Boulder Creek.  Said SP line would have crossed the San Lorenzo River just south of the Felton Covered Bridge.  According to bridgehunter.com the SP bridge over the San Lorenzo River was Pratt Truss that was built in 1908.



The 1937 bridge carries Graham Hill Road to CA 9 in downtown Felton.  The 1937 bridge is an arch concrete design just north of the Felton Covered Bridge.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th