Skip to main content

California State Route 247

Between 2011 and 2016 I drove the entirety of California State Route 247.


CA 247 is 78 mile north/south State Highway contained entirely within the Mojave Desert of San Bernardino County.  CA 247 has a southern terminus at CA 62 in Yucca Valley and a north terminus at Interstate 15 in Barstow.

According to CAhighways.org the segment of CA 247 between CA 62 in Yucca Valley along Old Woman Springs Road to CA 18 in Lucerne Valley was part of Legislative Route Number 187.  LRN 187 was created by the State Legislature in 1959.

CAhighways.org on LRN 187

LRN 187 first appears as an unbuilt State Highway on the 1960 State Highway Map.

1960 State Highway Map

Old Woman Springs Road certainly ranks as one of the stranger names in the California State Highway system.  Surprisingly the story behind the "Old Woman Springs Road: name is somewhat well documented and mundane.  The name comes from the Old Woman Springs which was located in the 1850s by Colonel Henry Washington and is located just off of CA 247.  As the story goes the springs were well known to local tribes and the name came from the frequent visits made by elderly women.  More on the story behind the name of Old Woman Springs Road can be found on desertusa.com.

desertusa.com on Old Woman Springs 

By 1964 the California State Highway renumbering occurred and LRN 187 was changed to CA 247.  The 1964 State Highway map shows CA 247 on Old Woman Springs Road still as a proposed route.

1964 State Highway Map

By 1970 the route definition of CA 247 was extended north of Lucerne Valley to Barstow via Barstow Road.  CA 247 on Old Woman Springs Road and Barstow Road was brought up to State Highway standards sometime between 1970 and 1975.  This can be seen by comparing the State Highway maps from 1970 to 1975.

1970 State Highway Map

1975 State Highway Map

Both Old Woman Springs Road and Barstow Road existed long before LRN 187 or CA 247 existed.  Both roadways can be seen as maintained County Roads on the 1935 California Division of Highways Map of San Bernardino County.  Barstow Road appears to have largely straightened and shifted east of Lucerne Valley Cutoff Road.

1935 San Bernardino County Highway Map

CA 247 interestingly contains a spur route which connects to CA 18 in Lucerne Valley.  Main line CA 247 swings north towards Barstow on Barstow Road in Lucerne Valley whereas the spur route continues to CA 18 on Old Woman Springs Road.  The spur CA 247 is not signed with reassurance shields aside for a "To CA 18" heading northbound.  The Caltrans Post Mile tool shows the CA 247 maintained as part of Post Mile SBD 44.63-44.84.


This isn't exactly my best road photo but this is how the exit for CA 247 from I-15 appeared in 2011-2012.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro