Skip to main content

Holmes Creek Covered Bridge - Charlotte, Vermont

 


Located in Charlotte, Vermont, and also known as the Lake Shore Covered Bridge, the Holmes Creek Covered Bridge is one of the Green Mountain State's more unique covered bridges. While many covered bridges in Vermont are nestled on back country roads or around quaint villages, the Holmes Creek Covered Bridge has the distinction of being the only historic covered bridge located within the eyesight of Lake Champlain. In fact, it was such a nice, early November day that I quickly ventured over to the Lake Champlain shore from the covered bridge.

The Holmes Creek Covered Bridge was built in 1870 by Leonard Sherman. The covered bridge is built with a King truss style along with a tied arch, just one of three tied arch covered bridges found in Vermont. The bridge has a few other claims to fame, being one of the shortest covered bridges in New England at 41 feet in length, and the covered bridge in Vermont with the lowest elevation at 112 feet above sea level. It is rumored that the Holmes Creek Covered Bridge was preceded by a bridge built in 1840, but this hasn't been proven in town records. But when the Holmes Creek Covered Bridge was getting ready to be built, the Charlotte town selectmen specified that the bridge's width and height be "a load of hay, high and wide" in order for traffic to pass through.

In 1974, the Holmes Creek Covered Bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 1993, the covered bridge received extensive renovations courtesy of Milton Graton Associates of New Hampshire. But beyond the covered bridge itself, the area around the bridge also has some juicy historical tidbits. During the late 1800s, the Holmes family (for whom Holmes Creek is named) ran the largest apple orchard in New England, not far from the bridge. In Lake Champlain, there are submerged pilings, which is the last remaining evidence of a pier where fruit from the orchard was loaded onto boats and taken to destinations both far and near.


The south portal of the Holmes Creek Covered Bridge.

Historical plaque.

Inside the covered bridge

North portal of the covered bridge.

Lake Champlain. You can see the Adirondacks of New York State in the distance.

View of the Holmes Creek Covered Bridge from the mouth of the Holmes Creek.

Looking north towards Charlotte Beach, located just north of the covered bridge on Lake Road.



How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Vermont Covered Bridge Society - The Lake Shore Covered Bridge
Pond Mountain Inn - Holmes Creek Covered Bridge
Traveling for History - Holmes Creek Covered Bridge in Charlotte, Vermont

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th