Part 1; the history of Friant Road
Friant Road takes it's name from the community of Friant which is located near Millerton Lake and Friant Dam. The community of Friant was established as Converse Ferry during 1852 on the San Joaquin River downstream Fort Miller and the community of Millerton. Upon the formation of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road the site of Converse Ferry would become increasingly important as a crossing of the San Joaquin River. During 1863 Converse Ferry changed hands would be renamed as "Jones Ferry."
Jones Ferry can be seen south of Millerton along the road the road to Fresno (which would become Friant Road) on the 1882 Bancroft's Map of California. Note: Jones Ferry was renamed to "Hamptonville" during 1881 but it was not captured on the 1882 Bancroft's Map.
Friant, Friant Road and the North Fork Road Bridge can all be seen on the 1914 Weber Map of Fresno County.
Friant Road from Herndon Avenue/Blackstone Avenue near Pinedale to Lanes Road was added to the State Highway System during 1933 (legislative chapter 767) as a component of Legislative Route Number 125. The same portion of Friant Road would be assigned as California State Route 41 when the initial run of Sign State Routes was announced in August 1934 California Highways & Public Works.
Part 2; a drive on Friant Road
From California State Route 41 northbound in the city of Fresno, Friant Road can be accessed from Exit 135. Woodward Park, Millerton Lake and Table Mountain Casino are signed as locations all accessible via Friant Road.
Friant Road northbound intersects Audubon Drive which can used to access Woodward Park. Woodward Park is a 300-acre park owned by the city of Fresno which opened during 1968.
Northbound Friant Road skirts the edge of Woodward Park alongside the Lewis E. Eaton Trail. Friant Road intersects Rice Road which can be used to access Lanes Road and the site of the 1889 Lanes Bridge.