Skip to main content

Florida Friday; Old Florida State Road 50 in the Green Swamp

Back in 2014 I spent time tracking down former alignments of what is now Florida State Road 50 on the north side of the Green Swamp in Hernando County and Sumter County.






Prior to the 1945 Florida State Road renumbering FL 50 east of Ridge Manor to Mabel was part of FL 210.  Whereas the modern route of FL 50 is quite good through the Green Swamp and one of the few two-lane roadways in the state with 60 MPH speed limits the original alignment was much different.  This 1936 Road Map of eastern Hernando County shows FL 210 heading into the Green Swamp via Richloam-Clay Sink Road to the Atlantic Coast Line siding of Richloam.

1936 Eastern Hernando County Map 

FL 210 and later FL 50 turned east towards the Little Withlacoochee River on Riverland Road towards the siding of Riverland.  From Richloam looking eastward this is what former FL 50 looks like today.





At the Sumter County Line the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad and FL 50 split from each other on separate crossings of the Little Withlacoochee River.  Riverland Road on the Sumter Side becomes County Road 757 and would have crossed the Atlantic Coast Railroad one more time.  Today the bridge connecting Riverland Road and County Road 757 is apparently gone but the general area can be accessed on the Sumter County side.  These photos below look on what was westbound FL 50 towards the Little Withlacoochee River.






County Road 757 ends at modern FL 50.  Apparently the route of FL 50 was shifted to the modern alignment sometime between 1945 and 1960 by comparing topographical maps on Historicaerials.com.


East of the former Green Swamp of FL 50 there are various sidings of the Atlantic Coast Line that still exist.  The Atlantic Coast Line was removed at some point in the past three decades and much of the former grade is now occupied east of FL 471 as Sumter County Road 772.

Some of the sidings are notable due to some historic structures that are still present.  An older railroad building in Tarrytown at the intersection of FL 50 and FL 471 still stands as of 2014.  At the time the building had just been reopened as a business and painted orange.  Tarrytown apparently predates the Atlantic Coast Line as a local sawmill out of the Green Swamp.


East of Tarrytown there is a large cemetery marque on County Road 772 in Linden showing the community was formed in 1842.


Linden still has a large church and a single commercial building on FL 50.






As stated above County Road 772 is the former grade of the Atlantic Coast Railroad.  I'm almost certain that FL 50 through Linden and Mabel was always routed north of the railroad lines to the left in the picture below.


Comments

Unknown said…
Florida has a variety of old places still in existance.Their very interesting places to see and read about.I do this alot.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935