Skip to main content

Arizona State Route 95S along former AZ 172 to Parker Dam

Back in 2012 I drove the entirety of the 0.8 Mile Arizona State Route 95S located in northern La Paz County, Arizona along the Colorado River at Parker Dam.






Parker Dam is a concrete arch gravity dam which impounds the Colorado River to create Lake Havasu.  Parker Dam has an unusual design in that the structure is 320 feet tall but 235 feet of is is located below the bed of the Colorado River which apparently makes it the deepest dam in the world.  Park Dam was part of the 1922 Colorado River Project and work began 1934.  At the time the State of Arizona actually had not signed off on the plans to build Parker Dam due to unease over the water share.  The governor actually sent Arizona National Guard to halt construction by the Department of the Interior on the Arizona side of the Colorado River in 1935.  Arizona won it's case against the Department of the Interior in the Supreme Court but ultimately signed off on the project after being improvements to water reclamation on the Gila River.  Parker Dam was subsequently completed in 1938 which created a new roadway between Arizona and California.

The 1938 Arizona State Highway Map shows the completed Parker Dam north of Parker and AZ 72.

1938 Arizona State Highway Map

By 1958 Arizona State Route 172 was designated as a new State Highway between AZ 72 in Parker to the California State Line over Parker Dam.  AZ 172 can be seen on the below 1961 Arizona State Highway Map.

1961 Arizona State Highway Map

At some point in 1962 AZ 172 was designated as an extension of AZ 95 which eventually was signed north to US 66/I-40 with an additional segment north to AZ 68.  This action created not only a spur route of AZ 95 at Parker Dam but another in Parker connecting to CA 62 at the Colorado River which is also 0.80 miles.  Both AZ 95S routes are the shortest State Maintained Highways in Arizona with AZ 24 being the next shortest at 1.4 miles.  Arizonaroads.com has various pictures showing the odd signage of the AZ 95S routes.

Arizonaroads.com AZ 95


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters