Skip to main content

Former California State Route 41 past Bates Station


When California State Route 41 was commissioned during August 1934 it was aligned along the then existing Fresno-Yosemite Road north of the San Joaquin River.  Within the Sierra Nevada foothills of Madera County, the original highway alignment ran past Bates Station via what is now Madera County Road 209, part of eastern Road 406 and Road 207.   Bates Station was a stage station plotted during the early 1880s at what was the intersection of the Coarsegold Road and Stockton-Los Angeles Road.   The modern alignment bypassing Bates Station to the east would be reopened to traffic during late 1939.  




Part 1; the history of California State Route 41 past Bates Station

Bates Station was featured as one of the many 1875-1899 Madera County era towns in the May 21, 1968, Madera Tribune.  Post Office Service at Bates Station is noted to have been established on November 23, 1883 and ran continuously until October 31, 1903.  The postal name was sourced from Bates Station owner/operator George Bates.  Bates Station was located at the intersection of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road (now Madera County Road 406) and old Coarsegold Road (now Madera County Road 209).



Bates Station can be seen along the Fresno-Coarsegold Road in Township 10 South, Range 20 East on the 1891 Thompson Map of Fresno County.  Madera County would split from Fresno County north of the San Joaquin River on May 16, 1893. 



Bates Station can be seen at Township 10 South, Range 20 East on the 1914 Madera County Surveyor Map.  


The Fresno-Yosemite Road was added to the State Highway System via 1933 Legislative Route Number 767 as a component of Legislative Route Number 125 (LRN 125).  The original definition of LRN 125 was as follows:

1.  LRN 56 near Moro to LRN 4 (US Route 99 near Fresno via Stratford
2.  LRN 4 near Fresno to Yosemite National Park

The Fresno-Yosemite portion of LRN 125 was announced as a component of California State Route 41 in the August 1934 California Highways & Public Works.  California State Route 41 was one of the original Sign State Routes designated. 



California State Route 41 can be seen passing through the site of Bates Station south of Kelshaw Corners on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Madera County.

The alignment of California State Route 41 around Bates Station was featured in the December 1939 California Highways & Public Works.  The corridor described in the article began at Kelshaw Corners along Coarsegold Creek and extended ten miles southwest.  The previous alignment is displayed as being routed past Bates Station via what is now Madera County Roads 209, 406 and 207.  The new alignment saved three miles and was noted to be complete during late October 1939.  



Part 2; a drive along former California State Route 41 on Madera County Road 209

Modern California State Route 41 intersects the pre-1939 alignment on Road 209 a short distance north of California State Route 145.  


Northbound Road 209 approaches the Sierra Nevada foothills and intersects Road 208.





Northbound Road 209 enters the foothills and begins to follow the course of Cottonwood Creek.  An abandoned older alignment can be found in the brush approaching Craig Ranch.  








A second larger old alignment of Road 209 can be found north of Craig Ranch. 










Northbound Road 209 terminates at Road 406 where Bates Station once stood.  California State Route 41 would have originally continued on what is now eastbound Road 406 to Road 207.











Part 3; a drive along former California State Route 41 on Madera County Road 207

Modern California State Route 41 intersects the pre-1939 alignment on Road 207 south of Yosemite Springs Parkway near Coarsegold.


Road 207 passes through a valley filled with ranch lands and ascends to a closed gate at the boundary of the San Joaquin Experimental Range property.  Road 207 no longer connects as a through route to Road 406. 































Part 4; a drive along former California State Route 41 on Madera County Road 406

The southern part of Road 207 south of the San Joaquin Experimental Range is now signed as Red Top Mountain Road. 

Pre-1939 California State Route 41 followed Road 406 southwest to the site of Bates Station at Road 209.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...