Skip to main content

Arizona State Route 564 and Navajo National Monument

Back in the winter of 2012 I took the entirety Arizona State Route 564 from US Route 160 north to Navajo National Monument.


AZ 564 is an approximately 9.1 mile north/south State Route from US 160/BIA 41 in the Navajo Nation of Navajo County.  AZ 564 was created in 1970 when it connected to what was US Route 164.  US 164 was the second US Route to carry said designation and existed from 1966 to 1970.  US 164 was routed between Cortez, CO west to Flagstaff  via multiplex of US 89.  The history of the endpoints of US 164 can seen seen on USends.com.

USends.com on US 164 (ii)

At some point during 1970 US 164 was replaced by US 160 in Arizona.  The irony of the previous US 164 designation was that the route east of US 89 originally was part of AZ 64 which essentially made AZ 564 the fifth spur route of said highway.   Aside from AZ 264 the routing of AZ 564 is the only child route of AZ 64 that remains.  AZ 564 can first be seen on this 1971 State Highway Map of Arizona.

1971 Arizona State Highway Map


AZ 564 doesn't have any significant junctions on it's routing north to Navajo National Monument but the road does become BIA 221 at the National Park Boundary.  BIA 221 loops southwest from Navajo National Monument towards AZ 98.

Navajo National Monument is located on the Shonto Plateau sub-region of the Colorado Plateau and protects the well preserved Anasazi cliff-dwellings located there.  The cliff dwellings generally are known as Keet Seel and are located near the bottom of Tsegi Canyon.  Keet Seel was first occupied around 1250 the structures preserved today were built through the 1270s to 1280s.  Keet Seel was rediscovered in 1895 and was designated as a National Monument in 1909.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car