Skip to main content

Travel New England - Quechee Gorge - Vermont's Little Grand Canyon

A popular stop along US 4 in Central Vermont, both the Quechee Gorge and Bridge have a fascinating history of their own.  The bridge - a 285 foot long steel arch structure that carries US 4 over the Ottauquechee River - was first built for rail cars.  Constructed in 1911, the Quechee Gorge Bridge had originally carried the tracks of the Woodstock Railroad 163 feet over the gorge.  The bridge, designed by John W. Storrs and built by the American Bridge Company of New York, replaced a wood truss structure that had crossed the gorge since 1875. 
 
With the demise of passenger railroad in the region, the bridge was retrofitted and converted to automobile use in 1933.  Since then, the Quechee Gorge Bridge has carried US 4 over the scenic landscape below.   Today, the bridge is the oldest remaining steel arch bridge within the state of Vermont.  Over the years, the bridge and gorge, known as "Vermont's Little Grand Canyon," has become a very popular sightseeing spot along Route 4.  Hiking trails run north and south along the gorge.  One trail heads to the bottom of the gorge providing spectacular views of the bridge high above the Ottauquechee.  Others opt to take in dizzying views of the land below from both sides of the bridge. 

The bridge is surrounded by Quechee State Park.  The park, which opened in 1965, features camping, hiking and fishing as some of its top activities.  Quechee State Park is open from mid-May through Mid-October.

The Quechee Gorge is 165 feet deep and is Vermont's deepest gorge.  It is estimated to have formed as a result of glacial activity around 13,000 years ago.



Sadly, over the last decade the bridge has been the site of numerous suicide attempts.  From 2007 through the Summer of 2018 - 14 suicides occurred at the bridge.  In the first half of 2018, four were committed.   In 2018, the Vermont Agency of Transportation installed a temporary nine foot chain-link barrier to deter any additional attempts.  This is in addition to numerous other steps Vermont has taken to curb suicides at the bridge since 2016.  A final solution that would include either a barrier wall or net below the bridge is planned to be in place by 2022. (1)




All photos taken by post author May 2005 and August 2006.

Further Reading:
Getting There:

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car