Skip to main content

Travel New England: Peru, Vermont


Peru is a sleepy village off of Route 11 in Southern Vermont.  Known best for Bromley Ski Resort, Peru is home to an annual old-style country fair complete with a pig roast.

Originally chartered as Bromley in 1761, the name was changed to Peru in 1803.  The reasoning behind the change was the hope that the exotic name - Peru in South America - would attract more settlers.  Though the town reached a population of over 500 residents through much of the 1800s, Peru is currently home to about 350 residents.

The original J.J. Hapgood General Store Structure.

One of Peru's links to its long history is the J.J. Hapgood General Store.  The store - which opened in 1827 - still operates today.  The store is now owned and operated by Juliette Britton.  Britton revived the old store in 2014 as a grocery full of local goods, continued the store's wood-fired pizza oven, and expanded the menu.  The old store was raised in 2013, and the Britton's rebuilt the store from the ground up.  Today, the store is a community gathering place, home to a guest house, and even had a visit from Paul McCartney.  

Peru Congregational Church - Doug Kerr, 2010

The Peru Town Fair began in 1978 as a large tag sale.  Since then, it has expanded to include numerous local arts and crafts, music and dancing, and a well-known pig roast.  The Fair is held annually on the last Saturday in September attracting hundreds of visitors to the Southwestern Vermont hamlet.

All photos taken by post author on August 20, 2005 - unless otherwise noted.

Sources & Links:

How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, the color of your nearby fire hydrant matters...

...and here's why. You will find White, Red, Yellow and Violet colored fire hydrants pretty much everywhere.  But there's a reason for this - and it's because of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).  This association has issued guidelines for color coding standards for fire hydrants.  These color codes from the body of the hydrant, top of the hydrant, and in some municipalities the outlet caps are designed to allow fire fighters to know what type of system, water flow rate (Gallons Per Minute or GPM), and level of water pressure.  This guideline is known as NFPA 291 and is intended to be used universally throughout the United States. The NFPA guidelines are specific to the body and the top cap of the hydrant.  If a hydrant is WHITE or YELLOW - it means that it is connected to a public/municipal water system.  If a hydrant is RED - the hydrant is connected to a private system, typically a well.  These are most common in rural or unincorporated areas

Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway (in the making since 1947)

On September 15, 2022, the Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway opened in the city of Modesto from California State Route 99 west to North Dakota Avenue.  Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway was built upon a corridor which was tentatively to designated to become the branching point for Interstate 5W in the 1947 concept of the Interstate Highway System.  The present California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor was adopted by the California Highway Commission on June 20, 1956.  Despite almost being rescinded during the 1970s the concept of the California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor lingered on for over half a century and became likely the oldest undeveloped right-of-way owned by California Transportation Commission.  Pictured above is the planned California State Route 132 freeway west of US Route 99 in Modesto as featured in the May/June 1962 California Highways & Public Works.   The history of the California State Route

Aptos Creek Road to the Loma Prieta ghost town site

Aptos Creek Road is a roadway in Santa Cruz County, California which connects the community of Aptos north to The Forest of Nisene Marks State Parks.  Aptos Creek Road north of Aptos is largely unpaved and is where the town site of Loma Prieta can be located.  Loma Prieta was a sawmill community which operated from 1883-1923 and reached a peak population of approximately three hundred.  Loma Prieta included a railroad which is now occupied by Aptos Creek Road along with a spur to Bridge Creek which now the Loma Prieta Grade Trail.  The site of the Loma Prieta Mill and company town burned in 1942.   Part 1; the history of Aptos Creek Road and the Loma Prieta town site Modern Aptos traces its origin to Mexican Rancho Aptos.  Rancho Aptos was granted by the Mexican Government in 1833 Rafael Castro.  Rancho Aptos took its name from Aptos Creek which coursed through from the Santa Cruz Mountains to Monterey Bay.  Castro initially used Rancho Aptos to raise cattle for their hides.  Following