Skip to main content

California State Route 109

On the south side of San Francisco Bay between US Route 101 and California State Route 84 there are to unsigned short surface routes; CA 109 and CA 114.  Both CA 109 and CA 114 are located with the boundaries of Menlo Park and East Palo Alto, this entry is about the former route CA 109.


CA 109 is a 2 mile state highway running on University Avenue between US 101 in East Palo Alto to CA 84 in Menlo Park.  Northbound traffic departing US 101 from exit 403 must join Donohoe Street and take a brief western jog to reach CA 109 on University Avenue.



CA 109 north travels through East Palo Alto and enters Menlo Park at Notre Dame Avenue.  Notre Dame Avenue north to CA 84 was the first segment of CA 109 that was adopted by Caltrans.  Traffic is slow with speed limits as low as 25 MPH in East Palo Alto.






CA 109 on University Avenue crosses a set of rails before terminating at CA 84.




The north terminus of CA 109 is within view of modern Dumbarton Bridge crossing San Francisco Bay.  The Dumbarton Bridge is a Twin Concrete Girder design which is 1.63 miles in length.  The modern Dumbarton Bridge was opened to traffic in 1984 and was a replacement for the 1927 span which was the first highway crossing of San Francisco Bay.


According to CAhighways the current routing of CA 109 was created in 1984 from CA 84 south on University Avenue to Notre Dame Avenue.  In 1988 legislation was passed which allowed CA 109 to be extended south on University Avenue to US 101 but maintenance wasn't picked up apparently until 1997.

CAhighways on CA 109

The first CA 109 was along Sunset Cliffs Boulevard in San Diego.  The first CA 109 first appears on the State Highway Map in 1964 and was apparently created out of legislation in 1963 according to CAhighways.org.  The original CA 109 was deleted in 1972 and became an extension of I-8. 

1964 State Highway Map 

Interestingly the second CA 109 appears on the 1986 State Highway Map City Insert as CA 209 running south from CA 84 to Notre Dame Avenue.

1986 State Highway Map City Insert

On the 1988 State Highway Map City Insert CA 109 is shown correctly, I'm not sure if the 1986 map was an error.

1988 State Highway Map City Insert

CA 109 appears as a complete route between CA 84 and US 101 on the 1990 State Highway Map City Insert.

1990 State Highway City Insert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters