Skip to main content

Corbin Covered Bridge - Newport, New Hampshire

 


The 104 foot long Corbin Covered Bridge is located on the Croydon Branch of the Sugar River some two miles north of the village of Newport, New Hampshire. First built around 1845, the Corbin Bridge was one of 19 covered bridges that once graced the streams and rivers of Newport, but only three covered bridges remain. The fact that there is still a covered bridge at this location has much ado with civic boosterism and pride.

The State of New Hampshire suggested closing the Corbin Bridge in May 1979, but faced with losing one of the remaining covered bridges in Newport, the town reduced the posted weight limit from six to three tons in the hopes of preserving the covered bridge. As a result, the Corbin Bridge was rehabilitated by the state in 1980 at a cost of $43,000 in part due to matching grants.

On May 25, 1993, the Corbin Covered Bridge was burned down in what police officially call a suspicious fire, but many refer to as an act of arson. The incident is still under investigation years later. Faced with replacing the covered bridge with a simple concrete span bridge, a group of residents petitioned the town and state to instead replace the Corbin Bridge, raising thousands of dollars to cover the difference in cost. On Columbus Day weekend in 1994, the replica was pulled into place by a team of oxen with much fanfare. The reconstruction of the Corbin Bridge took three days. Arnold Graton, of Arnold M. Graton Associates in Holderness, New Hampshire, rebuilt the bridge.

Artifacts from the old Corbin Covered Bridge are still turning up as well. Trunnels have been turned from a scorched beam from the original Corbin Covered Bridge that was rescued from the banks of the Sugar River in 2018.

Today, you can make the visit to the Corbin Bridge by driving two miles north on NH 10 from Newport Village, then turning left onto Corbin Road near the airport. The covered bridge is in a peaceful setting for you to enjoy.





How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Valley News - Out & About: Newport to celebrate Corbin Bridge
Bridgehunter - Corbin Covered Bridge 29-10-05
New Hampshire Covered Bridges (NHDOT) - Corbin Bridge
Newport Historical Society - Corbin Covered Bridge Festival

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th