Skip to main content

Harpersfield Covered Bridge - Ohio

In the Ashtabula County town of Harpersfield, just a few miles south of Interstate 90, is the historic Harpersfield Covered Bridge. This Howe Truss style covered bridge, which is the third longest historic covered bridge in Ohio, was built in 1868 and spans over the scenic Grand River. One of the unique features about this covered bridge is that it is connected to a steel truss bridge, which was built in 1913 as a result of a flood in that washed away the land at the north end of the bridge. The steel span was subsequently attached as a result of that flood. At one time, OH 534 was routed to cross the bridge, but the highway was re-routed around Harpersfield onto a new alignment in 1962. The bridge features a walkway that was added during its renovation in 1991 and 1992. Today, the Harpersfield Covered Bridge is paralleled by nearby OH 534 and there is an adjacent park for visitors to enjoy the bridge and also to spend a quiet morning by going fishing.

To get there, you can take Interstate 90 to Exit 218, then go south on OH 534 for about a mile. Turn right onto OH 307 westbound, then make a left at the first intersection. There will be a sign for the Harpersfield Bridge Metropark and the park was founded in 1961 when the property surrounding the bridge was purchased by Ashtabula County from Western Reserve Properties. Head down the hill and there will be a place to park. The Harpersfield Covered Bridge is part of the Ashtabula County Covered Bridge Festival tour route, which features 19 covered bridges in Ashtabula County.

A view of the covered bridge on a quiet Sunday morning.

A walkway was added to the bridge to allow for easier pedestrian access.

A historical plaque greets visitors to the bridge and gives a little background about its history.

Looking west towards the Grand River as it makes its way to Lake Erie.

Wider angle view of both the truss bridge and the covered bridge.

View of the covered bridge through the truss bridge. There is also a small dam that is used for flood control for the Grand River.    

 
How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Ashtabula County Metroparks - Harpersfield Covered Bridge
Bridgehunter - Harpersfield Covered Bridge
Roadfan.com - Northwest Ashtabula County

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th