Skip to main content

California State Route 201

The second route I photo clinched on Monday was CA 201 from CA 245 west to CA 99.  CA 201 is a 25 mile route which traverses much of central Tulare County and a small part of Fresno County.  CA 201 is almost a two-lane roadway aside from a small part in Kingsburg.  CA 201 westbound begins in a place known as Elderwood and is somewhat hilly being in the Sierra Foothills for the first couple miles.













CA 201 crosses the Kern-Friant Canal entering San Joaquin Valley.





In Yettem CA 201 junctions with the northern segment of the unsigned County Route J23 at Road 156.





West of Yettem CA 201 turns north and multiplexes CA 63 for two miles before cutting west towards Kingsburg.









The entire 16 miles of CA 201 west of CA 63 are a straight shot towards CA 99.





CA 201 has two major junctions before Kingsburg with County Route J19 on Road 80/Alta Avenue and County Route J31 at Road 56.  I want to say J19 is still signed in Fresno County but it doesn't appear that J31 is signed at all.






Slightly before the Fresno County Line CA 201 crosses the Kings River.  The Fresno County Line and city limit of Kingsburg are about a mile westward.







Just prior to CA 99 is Simpson Street along the railroad tracks which would have been US 99.





CA 201 ends at CA 99 and actually has appropriate "end" signage.





Prior to 1964 all of what is now CA 201 was part of LRN 131 west of Woodlake.  The alignment of CA 201 is almost identical to LRN 131 which can be seen on the 1935 Tulare County Highway Map.  CA 201 appears to have remained unsigned until 1969.

1935 Tulare County Highway Map

1964 State Highway Map

1969 State Highway Map




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Horace Wilkinson Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

Standing tall across from downtown Baton Rouge, the Horace Wilkinson Bridge carries Interstate 10 across the lower Mississippi River between West Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parishes. Unusually, the bridge is actually named for three separate people; three generations of Horace Wilkinsons who served in the Louisiana State Legislature over a combined period of 54 years. Constructed in the 1960s and opened to traffic in 1968, this is one of the largest steel bridges on the lower Mississippi. It’s also the tallest bridge across the Mississippi, with its roadway reaching 175 ft at the center span. Baton Rouge is the northernmost city on the river where deep-water, ocean-going vessels can operate. As a result, this bridge is the northernmost bridge on the river of truly gigantic proportions. Altogether, the bridge is nearly 2 ½ miles long and its massive truss superstructure is 4,550 ft long with a center main truss span of 1,235 ft. The Horace Wilkinson Bridge is one of the largest

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh