Skip to main content

Cummings Skyway

Cummings Skyway is a locally maintained highway in the Crockett Hills of Contra Costa County, California.  Cummings Skyway begins at former US Route 40 at San Pablo Avenue and traverses the Diablo Range southeast to the John Muir Parkway segment of California State Route 4 in Franklin Canyon.  Cummings Skyway primarily serves as cutoff route between Interstate 80 and California State Route 4.  




Part 1; the history of Cummings Skyway

The first reference to Cummings Skyway appears in the May/June 1961 California Highways & Public Works.  California State Route 4 is cited to have been designated at the Arnold Industrial Freeway between US Route 40 (realigned off San Pablo Avenue onto what is now Interstate 80) and California State Route 21 (now Interstate 680) via a route adopted made by the California Highway Commission during October 1958.  Advanced planning of a segment of the Arnold Industrial Freeway between the Cummings Skway east to East Alhambra Avenue in Martinez is cited.  



The completed Cummings Skyway is detailed in the September/October 1961 California Highways & Public Works.  Cummings Skyway is described as being one of two Federal Aid Secondary Programs constructed in Costa Contra County during 1961.  The Cummings Skyway was constructed as part of Federal Aid Secondary Route 1256 as a direct cutoff line between US Route 40 and California State Route 4 in Franklin Canyon.  The Cummings Skyway was named in honor of Contra Costa County Supervisor H.L. Cummings.  The Cummings Skyway is described as having two 12-foot-wide lanes and a grade which could be expanded to a four-lane expressway in the future.  The Cummings Skyway is described as being built as part of Federal Aid Secondary Route 1256 between US Route 40 1.96 miles to Crockett Boulevard to an existing segment which spanned another 1.55 miles to California State Route 4 in Franklin Canyon.  Construction of the Cummings Skyway between US Route 40 and Crockett Boulevard is cited to have begun December 3rd, 1959 and was completed by January 16th, 1961.  






Part 2; a drive on Cummings Skyway

Cummings Skyway can be accessed from Interstate 80 via Exit 26 on the outskirts of Crockett.  From Interstate 80 westbound the Exit to Cummings Skyway is signed as "TO California State Route 4."  



From Interstate 80 westbound Exit 26 traffic can either travel west or east on Cummings Skyway.  Westbound traffic can follow Cummings Skyway via short of extension of the road to former US Route 40 at San Pablo Avenue.  


Eastbound Cummings Skyway jogs over Interstate 80 and climbs into the Crockett Hills to Crockett Boulevard.  Traffic is advised via eastbound Cummings Skyway of a truck prohibition on Crockett Boulevard.  










From Crockett Boulevard eastbound Cummings Skyway crests the Crockett Hills and descends to California State Route 4 in Franklin Canyon.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car