Skip to main content

Colemanville Covered Bridge - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

  


The Colemanville Covered Bridge is the second longest covered bridges in Lancaster County and also one of the longer covered bridges in the entire Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, spanning 156 across the Pequea Creek on the border between Conestoga and Martic Townships. Given the alternate name of Pequea # 12 in Lancaster County's list of covered bridges, the Colemanville Covered Bridge was first built in 1856 by James C. Carpenter at the cost of $2,224. It is Lancaster County's second longest single span covered bridge that is still in use. The bridge has a single span with double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The bridge deck is made from oak planks. Like most bridges in Lancaster County, the Colemanville Covered Bridge is painted red, which is the traditional color used for covered bridges in the county.

The bridge was partially rebuilt in 1938 and 1973 after flooding events caused damage to the covered bridge. Then in 1992, the Colemanville Covered Bridge was completely rebuilt at the tune of $350,000. During the rebuilding, the bridge was raised by six feet and moved slightly to the west in order to prevent future flooding from damaging the bridge. As a result, the bridge can be enjoyed for generations to come. I managed to visit the bridge on a day following plenty of rain and am happy to report that the bridge remained high and dry.











How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Colemanville Covered Bridge 38-36-55
Galenfrysinger.com - Colemanville Covered Bridge
Visit Lancaster PA - Covered Bridges in Lancaster PA
Interesting Pennsylvania and Beyond - Colemanville Covered Bridge, Lancaster County


Update Log:
January 14, 2022 - Crossposted to Quintessential Pennsylvania - https://quintessentialpa.blogspot.com/2022/01/colemanville-covered-bridge.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh