Skip to main content

Paper Highways; California State Route 284 and California State Route 285

In this edition of Paper Highways we examine the 1970 legislative additions to the California State Highway System in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Plumas County; California State Route 284 and California State Route 285.



Part 1; the history of California State Route 284 and California State Route 285

Both CA 284 and CA 285 were adopted as part of Legislative Chapter 1473 of 1970 according to CAhighways.org.  CA 284 was designated as a highway connecting from Route 70 in Chilhoot to Frenchman Reservoir.  CA 285 was designated as a highway connecting from Route 70 on West Street in Portola northwesterly to the north city limits then to Lake Davis via Humbug Canyon.  Legislative Chapter 1473 defined numerous State Highways during 1970, some of the others include; CA 283, CA 281, CA 271, and CA 270.

Notably the Chapter 1473 State Highways appear to have been contingent that an existing roadway be built to State Highway Standards.  To that end Frenchman Lake was completed as a California Department of Water Resources irrigation project by 1961 along Little Last Chance Creek.  The existing Frenchman Lake Road appears to have been improved during the Frenchman Lake project and was adopted as the alignment of CA 284.  Notably modern Frenchman Lake Road appears on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Plumas County north of Chilhoot.


Conversely Lake Davis was completed by the California Department of Water Resources during 1966.  Unlike Frenchman Lake a new roadway had to be built to the site of Grizzly Valley Dam on Big Grizzly Creek.  According to CAhighways.org by 1972 about 4.8 miles of the planned 8 miles of CA 285 on West Street and Lake Davis Road were constructed.  CAhighways.org goes elaborates further stating that West Street and Lake Davis Road were noted to have drainage issues which likely kept them from meeting State Highway standards.

On the 1975 Caltrans State Highway Map the full 8 mile route of CA 284 appears as a fully functional State Highway and CA 285 is shown to be unconstructed.


CA 285 was deleted in 1998 via Legislative Chapter 877.  The last time the planned route of CA 285 appears on a Caltrans State Highway Map is the 1990 edition.



Chapter 2; a virtual drive on California State Route 284

From CA 70 west in Chilhoot-Vinton traffic is advised that CA 284 can be found on Frenchman Lake Road.



CA 284 north begins at Post Mile PLU 0.0.  CA 284 crosses a cattle guard and is signed with a reassurance shield which lacks a directional placard.



CA 284 on Frenchman Lake Road is initially a straight jog north of Chilhoot-Vinton.




CA 284 north enters Plumas National Forest approximately at Post Mile PLU 2.887.


CA 284 begins to ascend into a forested area and begins to curve up around Post Mile PLU 4.61.


At Post Mile PLU 5.594 CA 284 crosses Little Last Chance Creek.


CA 284 follows Little Last Chance Creek through a narrow canyon.



CA 284 crosses Little Last Chance Creek two more times and terminates at Post Mile PLU 8.302 at the south shore of Frenchman Lake.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National River Area To Become A National Park

Great news for those that enjoy National Parks, West Virginia's New River Gorge Region, or West Virginia tourism.  Included within the Fiscal Year 2021 Omnibus Appropriations Bill signed by President Trump last night (December 27th) is the New River Gorge Park and Preserve Designation Act.   The act will designate the existing New River National River and over 72,000 acres of land within it as a National Park and Preserve. The New River Gorge Bridge will continue to be the centerpiece of the new New River Gorge National Park and Preserve. (Adam Prince, 2007) The river and surrounding land, which was added to the National Park System in 1978, will be our 63rd National Park.   The designation preserves over 7,000 acres as a National Park.  This area will not allow any hunting.  The remaining 65,000 acres of the existing park will be designated as a preserve allowing hunting and fishing. The main attractions to the New River Gorge - whitewater rafting, camping, hiking, mountain bikin

Douglas Memorial Bridge; the ruins of US Route 101 and the Redwood Highway over the Klamath River

Near the village of Klamath in southern Del Norte County, California sits the ruins of Douglas Memorial Bridge which once carried US Route 101 and the Redwood Highway over the Klamath River.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge was a arch concrete span which once crossed the Klamath River.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge was noted for it's unique grizzly bear statues which still adorn the remains of the structure.  Completed in 1926 the Douglas Memorial Bridge was the original alignment of US Route 101 ("US 101") and stood until it was destroyed by the Christmas Floods of 1964.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge is named in honor of G.H. Douglas who was a Assemblyman of the First District of California.  Below the Douglas Memorial Bridge can be seen during it's prime (courtesy bridgehunter ).  Part 1; the history of the Douglas Memorial Bridge The history of what would become US 101/Redwood Highway begins with the approval of the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act .  The First Stat

The Great PA 48 Clearance Sale

It's not often that any department of transportation sells land it purchased.  They are usually in the business of acquiring land for right-of-way.  But in 1982, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation did exactly that.  Offering to buyers land it purchased just 15 years earlier for the never-built Route 48 Expressway. Background: The sale was a result of the 1970s cash crunch the PennDOT experienced.  Many projects were cut back, shelved, or eliminated.  The 'New 48', or the North-South Parkway, which was touted for nearly 20 years as a connection from the industrial Mon Valley to the Turnpike and Monroeville was one of the casualties. In the mid-late 1960s, movement to construct the new highway began with targeting a two-mile stretch of highway from the Route 48 intersection at Lincoln Way in White Oak to US 30 in North Versailles.  The plan was then to continue the highway northwards to Monroeville.  Extension south across the Youghiogheny River and to PA 51 would