Skip to main content

Court Street, Hanford, California

While passing through Hanford this past week I noticed a street blade for Court Street on a pedestrian sidewalk in downtown between Douty Street and Irwin Street. 






Court Street serves as the northern street in Courthouse Square which is bounded by Douty Street, 8th Street, and Irwin Street. 



On the Courthouse Square side of Court Street is the Bastille and the original Kings County Courthouse.  The Bastille served as the Kings County jail from 1898 to 1964 when it was replaced by modern facility on Kings County Drive.  The original Kings County Courthouse was built in 1896 and was in service as a court building until 1976 when it was replaced by the Kings County Government Center on West Lacey Boulevard (which incidentally was on the original CA 198).







On the north side of Court Street is the Hanford Auditorium which was completed in 1924.   Supposedly the Hanford Auditorium was one of the largest if not the largest facility of it's kind between San Francisco and Los Angeles when it was constructed.





The west side of Court Street at Irwin Street is the Hanford Fox Theater.  The Fox Theater was opened in 1929 and is still frequently used for concert events.  Interestingly there is still a neon "FOX" sign at the very top of the building which is used at night.  The Fox Theater lines with with the intersection of Irwin Street and West Lacey Boulevard which was the original alignment of CA 198 and can be seen on the left side of this photo.


I'm not sure when Court Street was closed to vehicular access but the clock in the first photo on this blog has a construction date from 2000.  As stated above the Kings Counthouse was constructed in 1896 which was three years after Hanford became the County Seat of the newly created Kings County.  The 1892 map of Hanford doesn't Court Street but does show the approximate location of Courthouse Square.

1892 Hanford City Map

On the 1938 Thomas Bros Map of Hanford, Court Street is shown as being an active roadway and located at the geographic center of the city.

1938 Hanford City Map

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro